after rny long term eating.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/08 10:16 am - east falmouth, MA
I think i have a pretty good idea of what I will need to the the months after the surgery .  What I havent heard yet is what the long term limitations are in most cases.  I get about pouch size and protein and not eating much at each meal.    I have stupid questions like can I ever eat fresh fruit, salads, homegrown tomatos and stuff like that...?   Or should I resign that to the past? Love to hear about how that goes...Thanks  
Robin W.
on 4/15/08 9:47 pm - Franklin, OH
It'a all a big learning game after WLS. At over 4 years out I CAN eat ANYTHING I want within reason. You have to CHOSE what to eat. Just because you can eat it doesn't mean you  SHOULD eat it. I started salad at about 4-6 mos out. The only FRESH fruit I was not allowed early out was pineapple. I had to waite for about 9 mo to have it.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/08 11:19 pm - east falmouth, MA
Thanks Robin...It sort of hit me because I grow vegetables for us.  Good to know in time I will probably still be able to have a bite here and there.  Gracias
Pam T.
on 4/16/08 2:33 am - Saginaw, MI
I'm 5 months post-op and eat fresh fruit, raw veggies, salads, homegrown tomatoes and all the other stuff.  Actually, I eat pretty much anything I want to eat.  Which means that I don't want to eat sweets, sugar, high-fat or high-carb items.  My sister is 7 years post-op RNY and my mom is 5 years post-op RNY.  They eat normally.  Sure their portion sizes are smaller than someone with a normal stomach - but they eat whatever they want too.  Yes, even sweets sometimes. The most restriction is going to be during the first 3 or 4 months.   After my 3-month follow up appontment I was cleared to eat whatever I could tolerate (that was on the "accepted" list - which basically just excluded the high-sugar, high-fat or high-carb stuff).  I still have problems with a few things -- like chicken, if it's too dry or not tender enough. And some people will find that they have trouble with certain foods too.   But for the most part - you'll be able to eat normally again. HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Beatriz A.
on 4/16/08 2:57 am - Sunny Miami, FL
I am 16 months out and I can eat anything I want but I just make sure I make better choices. I eat fruits, vegetables as well as proteins. I eat some complex carbs in limited amounts as well suggar. Actually, it all depends on what your pouch can tolerate....I can tolerate everything but soft breads. Good luck to you!!
Beatriz
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/08 3:14 am - east falmouth, MA
Thanks...thats a big relief...I love our homegrown veggies and fruit.   I would give them up if needed but it's good to know they aren't out forever.   It should be an interesting year figuring out how to feed myself with my new mini tummy...Great to hear from others.
wendy_fou
on 4/16/08 11:21 am - AR

First of all, it may sound cliche, but NO question is a stupid question.  Seriously. I eat raw vegetables and fruit almost EVERY day.  My surgeon allows his patients to add fresh fruits and vegetables (along with breads) back into their diet at 8 weeks post-op! 

Most Active