cold cereal do or don't

stacie
on 4/14/08 11:43 am - fremont, CA
I would really like to know if any one has been able to have cold cereal, I love the stuff and am 1 month post op and of course would have with silk soy milk but is it ok.  Something like the low to no sugar cereals.  Is this an option, any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
Plum1967
on 4/14/08 11:49 am
I don't recall how far out I was when I started, but I used to have cold cereal for breakfast.  I used skim milk... just enough to soak the cereal.  Some people are lactose intolerant post-op, but I haven't had that problem.  Others aren't lactose intolerant, but can't do cereal wet... I don't have that problem either. I would say if your surgeon clears you to try it, take it slow and see how it goes. Wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

whalesong
on 4/14/08 12:03 pm
I eat the Special K protein cereal.  I have no problem with it now but I was about 6 mo. out before I could tolarate it.  I think Kashi make some good cereals too. Back to Nature makes a protein crunch which has 15g protein for 1/2c which is 5g more then the Special K which has 10g. for 3/4c.  The Back to Nature is realy cruchy so it stands up well in milk for a longer time which helps when it takes a while to eat a meal.    Hope this helps  Tracy
Diana M.
on 4/14/08 12:16 pm - NC
You know they say everyone is different so just be careful.  Cereal with milk is the only thing I can't handle.  I've tried it 2 x now.  I was 2 months out first time and 6 months out second time.  I never vomited, but it made me so ill that I had to lay down and I didn't have the strength to get up.  I first thought I was lactose intolerant, but girl, I live on dairy now.  Without dairy~oh my goodness~ what a horror to live without yogert and cottage cheese and low fat string cheese...lol.  Now I love the low carb chocolate soy milk.  Yummy.    Just wanted to let you know-cereal (plain ol` no sugar cereal) made me sick as a dog... PS- My surgery buddy can't handle it either Everyone IS different.  I hope you have a great bowl of cereal.  "think of me" :-) Sincerely, Diana
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be~ David Viscott
Diana M.
on 4/14/08 12:18 pm - NC
I said that it was the only thing I can't handle- but I can't or couldn't do steak either.  (I haven't been brave enough to try that again)  I can handle lean ground beef- but it is something about the whole cuts of beef for me.  Good luck!
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be~ David Viscott
Starting Over
on 4/14/08 5:53 pm
I used to LOVE the special K protein plus cereal. It is the lowest carb cereal that I found, and has plenty of protein. I think I started eating it 2-3 months out with about 1/2 cup of soy milk to soggy up the flakes. However my local grocery store has stopped carrying it.
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/08 10:53 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I did fine with cold cereal and hot cereal as well.  There are quite a few good cold cereal choices for post-ops; low/no sugar and higher protein.  I like the Kashi Go Lean best.  If you have access to Trader Joe's, they carry a variety of low/no sugar, high protein cereals.  Good luck finding something that works for you!!! Kellie
glitzigirl
on 4/15/08 3:36 am - Teaneck, NJ
Absolutely!!! Fiber One Honey Flakes is great because it has 13g of Fiber and 5g of protein. Special K Protein has 5g of Fiber and 10g of Protein and the Total cereals have a full day's worth of vitamins. In the mushies stage I used to let the cereal sit in the millk and turn to mush, now I like it crunchy and all the above cereals are sweet and yummy and HEALTHY! Anytime I try a new food I just make sure that I am home and I am not in a hurry to run off anywhere. NEVER be afraid to try a new food, your body will tell you what works and what doesn't.
Pam T.
on 4/15/08 3:40 am - Saginaw, MI
I personally think of cold cereal as eating and drinking at the same time.  Which, of course, is a no-no.  You're putting solid food into your pouch (the cereal) but washing it through quickly with the milk.   So I opt for oatmeal or cream of wheat instead.  Kind of on the same level as thin brothy soups like chicken noodle soup.  solid food and liquid at the same time.  So I stick with stews or chili or thicker soups instead -- stuff that'll stay in my pouch longer.  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

corrineinwa
on 4/16/08 1:43 am
I was allowed cold cereal at 6 weeks but I wasn't allowed enough milk for my liking - not to mention that I couldn't handle regular milk post-op anyway. My NUT suggested having it with yogurt.  Either Special K Protein or All Bran (extra fiber one) with an Activia Lite yogurt is a regular on my menu.

24 September 2007
Dr. Sebesta - Madigan Medical Army Center (MAMC).
259.5/224.7/111
highest/day of surgery/current
 BMI 18.5 (5'5")

Most Active