Why is this happening....

bootymama
on 4/14/08 6:20 am - mount vernon, WA
So I had my surgery June of 06'..I started at 287lbs and as of today I'm at 150...problem is a month ago I was at 140!! I have noticed that I can ALMOST basically eat anything I want with NO problems...I still can't eat the quanity like before(which is good) but I can handle ALOT more now....which has made me obviously put on some poundage...WHY?? I don't get nausous, don't dump or anything. Why am I gaining now???
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/08 6:32 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

Perhaps your degree of malabsorption has changed and you're now absorbing more of the calories you take in (assuming you're eating the same number of calories you were before you started to gain and that you're exercise routine, if any, has stayed the same).  Or perhaps you're grazing more and/or eating slightly larger portions; even small amounts of "extra" calories on a regular basis can cause slow but sure weight gain.   I'd encourage you to take a good, hard look at your daily habits and think about what's changed.  Get a handle on this now, while it's 10 pounds, rather than ignoring it and coming back for support when it's 20 or 30 pounds.  You've done a great thing by realizing that something has to change - now act !!!! Kellie

Dave Chambers
on 4/14/08 6:50 am - Mira Loma, CA
My surgery was May 10, 2006. From support group meetings (3 a month) and forum participation and research, the general consencus it that the "honeymoon period" is over between 8 and 16 months.  The honeymoon period was when weight would fall off almost every time you got on the scale, even if you didn't exercise a few days or ate the wrong things. You have to look at it this way, the RNY surgery is a tool towards weight loss. You have to be smarter than the tool your'e using, the RNY surgery. So those protocols the doc gave you after surgery on portion control, hydration, foods ok to eat (after initial restricted foods the first few weeks), vitamins and calcium citrate, and EXERCISE? Well, now is the time they have to be closely adhered to. Maybe you can't eat the quantity you used to, but you have to be careful on the food choices.  Stressors may have caused intial weight gain over the years. Those stressors may still be present in your life. You have to address the stressors for long time weight loss results. Some people had stressors, and their relief was in the form of eating.  You've addressed the weight issue with surgery, now you have to address those stressors that may still be  present. Whether it's personal conseling, couples conseling, changing jobs--whatever, you need to talk to a professional about them, or change those stressors by yourself (job, etc.).

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Deborah M.
on 4/15/08 12:44 pm, edited 4/15/08 12:45 pm - Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
I so appreciate the way you addressed this Dave, thanks for your sage advice. I  always read what you have to say.
Deborah.
Most Active