6 years post op, poor supplementation

jenn2002
on 4/13/08 2:31 am - Portland, OR
Since having surgery in 2002, I have been terrible at supplementing. I started out great--obsessive. But entering grad school and having two children in three years has had my head spinning.  I have been struggling to lose weight since 2006. I work out at the gym a lot, 5-6 times per week for over an hour each time. I started back in February, too. The problem is that I'm not losing weight, I'm gaining weight and not losing inches at all. I'm wondering if my poor supplementation over the past few years is causing my body to hold onto everything? I have not had blood work done in 3 years but I'm trying to get it done now--it's not easy trying to talk a MD into blood work!!! Anyway, I just had my bone density test and should have the results next week. I do know that my teeth are suffering, too. Sorry about the chaotic post, but any info/opinions would be appreciated.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 4/13/08 12:27 pm - Bandera, TX
I think that alot of us struggle with this and obtaining proper nutritional status.  I just recently started using a nutritional cleansing and supplementation program and feel so much better.  If you are interested in more information about what I am doing send me an email.
Dave Chambers
on 4/14/08 12:58 am - Mira Loma, CA
If you've had a bone density test done and current teeth problems, I'd guess you haven't been doing your calcium supplements. Calcium citrate is what you need, along with vitamin D. 2000mg total of calcium citrate daily, taken in 3-4 doses.  Vitamins at a minimum of 2 x RDA levels are also needed. Your's is not the first post on this topic, and I still wonder why people have WLS if they won't follow the nutritional needs during the post op years???

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

jenn2002
on 4/14/08 1:46 am - Portland, OR
Well, for me, it's not that I refuse to follow through, life happens and the kids always come first for me. So, my intentions may be the greatest in the world, but with one kid barfing, the other one screaming and one needing to nurse round the clock (and writing a thesis in the middle of it all), my butt is kicked! I simply forget to do things for myself because I'm busy caring for my THREE children and my husband and home. My last bone density in 2006 was fine, but my OBGYN wouldn't do a full blood workup on me and my WLS surgeon's office won't return my calls. I guess I need to call my regular doc and demand bloodwork!!! Whew!
Smilesy
on 4/14/08 2:12 am - Westminster, MD
The only way you can take care of your kids is if you take care of yourself!!!   I know - I am a single mom, and it won't do my kids any good if I am laid up, malnourished somewhere!!  Take time to put your health first so you can be an even better mom than I know you are!
Pam T.
on 4/14/08 3:35 am - Saginaw, MI
My mother had RNY 5 years ago and wasn't faithful with her calcium supplement -- and when she was she was taking calcium carbonate (which isn't absorbed by post-op folks).  Two months ago she was diagnosed with osteoporosis showing a 18.2% bone density loss in her spine in the past 2 years.   Unfortunately this has been a great motivator for her to become more faithful in taking her supplements and to make sure she's taking the RIGHT kind of calcium.  Too bad it's too late to reverse the effects of 5 years of slacking off has done.   As for bloodwork.  you should not have to talk anyone into bloodwork.  This MUST be an annual ritual for the rest of your life.  Contact your surgeon's office and get the list of which blood work needs to be tested and give it to your MD to get the tests ordered.  If you can't find an appropriate list, I'd be happy to share mine - just PM me. Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

jenn2002
on 4/14/08 6:59 am - Portland, OR
Back to my original question--could this be why I am not losing weight???
Most Active