So what is the right advise!?

Newgrl1127
on 4/12/08 5:22 am - Cleveland, OH
Okay... so ,in all the reading that I have done, I have come across some things that say to NOT eat fat free items, because they pump them up for taste with sugar.  If we, as post op's avoid sugar shouldnt we then stay away from fat free items? ~J.
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/08 8:34 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
A lot of manufacturers of fat-free foods add more sugar to compensate for the change in the texture of the food product.  I'd encourage you to read the labels of any fat-free items before you buy them just to make sure you're comfortable with the carb/fat/protein ratios.  I often compare the fat-free item to the regular item and look at what's different.  If the calorie count is similar, but the carbs/sugar are higher, I generally choose the "regular" item instead of the fat-free version with higher sugars.   Kellie
Dave Chambers
on 4/12/08 1:16 pm - Mira Loma, CA
"Fat free" is a common sales trick these days. You have to read labels carefully to consider protein, calories, fat, sugar, carbs, etc. contained in ONE SERVING.  Large print on food labels are designed to entice you to purchase.  Read labels on vitamins and calcium or iron supplements also. I purchased some calcium citrate early after surgery, looking at the 800mg per serving on the front of the bottle. Only after I got home and put on my glasses to read the small print on the back, did I find that it took 4 of these horse pills to equal 800mg. So read labels. You do need some fat in your diet, just not a lot of it. Low fat items are fine. Fat free can be deceiving, high in calories or carbs in the tradeoff for being fat free, or may have sugar alcohols that may cause diarrhea too.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

glitzigirl
on 4/15/08 3:51 am - Teaneck, NJ

Personally, I say just listen to your body. I personally don't dump, so I can't comment on that. But if you track your daily calories on DailyPlate or SparkPeople or FitDay you will be fine. You should be losing weight consistently and if you are, then you are doing it right. If you are not, then look at your food log and make some changes. I can't stand any artificial sweeteners and use honey in my tea at night (a measured teaspoon for 60-70 cals). Again, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, it will steer you in the right direction. Good Luck!

Most Active