Why do we dump on sugar?

MyMichelle
on 4/10/08 6:42 am - Fresno, CA
I understand the insulin response thing and all that, but what is it about the surgery causes our bodies to have that response when we didn't have it before?  I'm trying to understand it. Any ideas?

Jupiter6
on 4/10/08 11:54 am, edited 4/10/08 11:55 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
You no longer have much stomach/enzymes to break down sugars-- nor a pyloric valve to regulate the passage of food from your stomach into your intestines, so it all kinda "dumps" in at once. Water comes in from all over to help try to break down the sudden glut of sugars-- and that's dumping!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

MyMichelle
on 4/10/08 12:43 pm - Fresno, CA
Okay, I get it...so since we bypass much of our stomach, the sugary foods don't get to be broken down correctly, so our bodies try to jump in and "fix" the situation.  Thanks for the explanation.  It makes much more sense now!  :)Michelle

Most Active