15 bean soup recipe help!

MyMichelle
on 4/9/08 8:50 am - Fresno, CA
Hi, everyone!  I'm making a 15 bean soup tomorrow, and I'd like to sweeten it a bit, but I don't want to add any sugar, honey, or molasses, because I'd like to actually be able to eat what I'm cooking. LOL!  So, anyone have any ideas or recipes they use for 15 bean soup that they REALLY like?  Even if it is more just a recipe that makes it extra yummy, but not necessarily sweet, that's fine, too.  I just don't want to make the plain ol' every day bland bean soup, and I want to be able to eat it, too.  Ideas?  Help? 

Pam T.
on 4/10/08 1:04 am - Saginaw, MI
I make a Taco Soup that calls for 2 tablespoons of sugar - -but I just add Splenda instead.  Tasted good to me.   When I do 15 bean soup I add 1 cup of salsa, some chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms (sauteed before adding to the crockpot to get them soft), chili powder, the spice pack that comes with the beans and chopped ham.  Never thought to add something to sweeten it.  Might try the splenda next time.  Although I've got a half a pot in the fridge that needs to be eaten up still.  :-) Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Deborah M.
on 4/14/08 11:47 am - Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
Fifteen bean soup...YUM...can anyone post the full recipe for a newbie...thanks if you can!
Deborah.
Pam T.
on 4/14/08 11:17 pm - Saginaw, MI
I don't have a receipe, per sa.  I just buy the package of 15-bean soup (dry beans) at the grocery store and use the recipe on the back of the package.  Then add whatever I think would taste good to it besides what the recipe calls for.  You can get either regular flavor (I think ham flavor) or cajun flavor.  I usually buy the regular, but accidently picked up the cajun last time and was surprised at how good it was.   I usually just throw the dry beans and all the ingredients into my crock pot in the morning and let it cook for 8-10 hours or so.  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active