How do I get off of SLIDER foods?

trafficdonna
on 4/14/08 11:35 pm
Wendy, Thank you for the encouraging words.  I do make chili once in a while.  I just can't eat it every day like you do.  I rely on Wendy's most of the time because making a big batch for me would seem wasteful.  I do still have pinto beans in the freezer from two months ago!   I guess if I could just have an appetitie for ANYTHING it would help.  Last night I thought a great "snack" would be some cheddar cheese and crackers.  I cut up only one ounce of cheese and put it between club crackers.  Four tiny little cracker "sandwiches".  And then I got sick.  Again. I can eat junk like pretzels, popcorn, or even a cup of soy nuts without a problem and only feel a little bit queasy if I overdo (more than a cup).  But healthy protein like cheese, turkey breast, canned tuna makes me nauseous and running for the antacids. I guess I should be grateful that I no longer have the urge to binge on anything in large quantity.  Last night I tried a Marie Callendar's frozen turkey dinner.  I got most of it down--and then got sick.  I didn't bring it back up but felt lousy for about an hour after dinner.  The dinner had over 30 grams of protein which is why I tried it.   Oh well, back to yogurt.  I brought cottage cheese for lunch--I will add some pineapple for flavor.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
This too will pass, like a kidney stone but it will pass!
Starting Over
on 4/14/08 6:03 pm
I agree with Wendy, my surgeon and nutritionist have a strict plan that helps their patients pouch get used to eating proteins. Our pouches usually aren't ready to just eat a burger as soon as we're off of pureed foods. I have had the WORSE time with chicken. Unless it's ground up, it makes my pouch unhappy. However that's sooooooo much protein that I'm missing. So I'll just take one bite, chew it well, and then move on to whatever else I'm going to eat for that meal. That might help your pouch get used to eating those types of foods. If that doesn't work, maybe you should find anutritionist that works with WLS patients to help you. Also, have you tried the recipe forum? There are plenty of awesome reciped that other post ops have shared, those will help you switch up your current diet.  How do you feel about tofu? That has alot of protein, and goes down pretty easy. You could try some tofu recipes! I have a few (tofu lasagna and tofu alfredo). When I cook these I just add some meat for hubby so I only have to cook one meal for the both of us, but the tofu makes the pouch happier.  Good Luck!
trafficdonna
on 4/14/08 11:25 pm
Thanks for the feedback.  I know for a fact that I haven't violated any protocols--after all I am a full year out from surgery.  I did not try to progress to solids for at least two months! As for tofu--I have tried it.  My pouch didn't like it any better than it likes real meat.  As for your recipes, I am sure they are delicious.  I don't tolerate alfredo sauce at all (lactose intolerant) but I can occsionally have a teaspoon of marinara on things.  I do better with salsa to tell the truth. Just glad I am not alone with all of this!  Misery DOES love company.
Starting Over
on 4/15/08 12:30 am

Well, I guess misery does love company.  I'm so glad that I'm not part of THAT get-together. I guess at this point, I'm wondering what you wanted when you posted. Were you just wanting to vent? If so, that's fine. However, many people have given you MANY suggestions, and all I've seen from you is excuses and "I've already done this or that". If you have tried everything, as you claim, then there's not much more that anyone on the board can offer. I don't mean to sound rude or harsh...but if NOTHING else works for you, and you can't go to a nutritionist for professional advice, then you'll have to live with what DOES work.

Good Luck

trafficdonna
on 4/15/08 4:31 am
Point taken.  You are right of course.  I guess I was hoping for a magic button that would cure the nausea I get.  I know that I will probably just have to keep eating what I can past the nausea and lack of appetite.  And yes, I probably was looking for a little bit of sympathy.  Sometimes it is easy to feel very alone in all of this.  Since I went to India for surgery, there is no support group other than this board that I can turn to.   So sometimes I don't know if I am doing something really wrong or if there might be a medical problem with the pouch. Feedback from the members of this board are my best way of knowing the difference between a medical problem and a behavioral problem.   It seems like I have probably babied my pouch too much because of the nausea and I might have missed my window of opportunity to eat like a normal person.   I do appreciate your feedback.  It was a legitimate answer.
Starting Over
on 4/15/08 7:42 am
Is it possible for you to find a follow-up surgeon for care in your local area? Also, in the meantime, you might have your pcp prescribe something to help the nausea. My surgeon prescribed Prevacid to help with reflux, but it has also helped with nausea. Also, he prescribed a nausea med, but it's in the suppository form...so I've stayed away from those.  As far as sympathy, there's nothing wrong with that. We all need to vent sometimes, and if you don't have the proper support system around you, it's SOOOOO incredibly easy to feel alone. So there's nothing wrong with that....as a matter of fact that's what we're all here for. I just wondered if that's what you wanted. I would HIGHLY suggest trying to find a local doc to help you with follow up care, or atleast a nutritionist. Better safe than sorry, right? Good Luck {{{{HUGS}}}}
marsh76367
on 4/25/08 5:44 am - IOWA PARK, TX
You have done excellent with your weight loss.  Ultimately, we all have to find what works best for us and our lifestyles.  Since you are cooking for just the two of you, it is harder.  I pretty much decided I was not going to cook two meals - one for the kids and family, and one for me.  Well, that doesn't necessarily work!  Usually in the evenings, I cannot tolerate solid foods-- it has to be soft or soupy or I       So, I try to make whatever the family is having protein friendly, without being hard on the pouch.  Examples-- the family would have sloppy joes, chips, salad, etc... I'd have the meat, no bun, cheese stick, etc.  Or I'd fix beef stroganoff for the family-- no noodles for me, meat, sour cream, maybe some sauteed veggies.  There are plenty of times I just go ahead and fix myself a soup or cottage cheese dinner rather than face an evening of being sick and throwing up-- and I'm over 18 months post op. Here are some hints that worked for me (most of the time).  have you tried cooking chicken thighs instead of breasts or other cuts?  The thighs are usually a little more moist and not so fibrous.  Also, try the soy veggie burgers.  I like garden vegetable and tomato basil veggie patties.   Check the labels, but about 15 g of protein, 120 calories-- I cook mine with a little pam spray, add cheese  or bbq sauce to them.  Usually they agree with my pouch pretty well.  How about sea food for protein-- such as shrimp, scallops, fish, etc?  Salmon is an excellent source of protein-- I broil mine with teriyaki sauce to keep it moist.  Shrimp primavera with some spicy marinara with a few sauteed vegetables, and over pasta for your hubby is a delicious dish.   Also, bacon and eggs for dinner has worked great for me and the family likes it.  good luck to you!
trafficdonna
on 4/25/08 2:45 pm
It sounds like we have the same pouch!  I had some tilapia (grilled with lemon pepper) tonight but tried to eat a few fries and that made me sick.  I guess in some ways I will never learn.  I could have baked the potato and been fine.  I don't do very well with eggs--they look good until I try to eat them then I get nauseous.  The bacon is fine for some reason as long as it is very crisp!  Weird!!! Cottage cheese agrees with me and I do like to mix veggies or fruit with it.  I chomp enough soy nuts on most days to get at least 20 grams of protein from just that.  So I know I am okay--just wish there were more variety but I know that we both will survive this!  Thank you for the encouragement.
Most Active