Protein Help, please?

maz
on 4/9/08 3:10 am - Puyallup, WA
So being 5+ yrs post op you;d figure I know what I should do & not do. But I've never been able to stick with anything or follow any thing through to completion or in this case make the changes a permanent part of my lifestyle. I've picked up exercise beginning the 4th of March. I try to attend the YMCA 3 - 4 times a week at least if not more. At a WLS support group I went too last month they suggested I add more protein to my diet. So it took me awhile to get some changes made but I have been including in my diet Slimfast & Atkins protein shakes. As well as Slim Fast protein meal replacement bars & Snack bars. I've also been incorporating Activia & Dannon Light yogurt. I went to Super Supplements one night after the gym to buy some Protein Powder. Unfortunately it was almost closing time so I had to hurry. I picked up two samples of Natures Way metabloic reset hunger control weight loss shake in chocolate & vanilla. I wasn't all that crazy over the taste of the vanilla & haven't tried the chocolate. Does anyone have any suggestions of not so bad or good tasting Protein powder to buy? And how much Protein should I have a day? I really want to get back on the losing track again. Thanks Marilyn
Pre Op Weight: 750lbs 2002
Roux En Y January 24 2003
Lowest Weight Post Op: 477lbs 2003
Last weight: 574.2lbs Feb 23 2009

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/08 4:23 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, Marilyn!!!  There's an earlier post (a couple entries before yours) that was talking about a great tasting, relatively inexpensive protein supplement that's available at WalMart - here's a link to that post for your reference: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/a,messageboard/a ction,replies/board_id,5389/cat_id,4989/topic_id,3580663/ Are you working to add protein from food sources as well, or are you focusing on liquid proteins for now?  I get greater satiation/satisfaction from dense proteins (chicken, pork, beef, tuna steaks, etc.) than I do from protein shakes.  That's because they stay in my pouch longer because it takes our body longer to digest them, so it takes me longer to get hungry again.  Congrats on sticking with your new exercise routine!!!  That will help burn off calories, plus it should help you feel better (I know it helps me!!!).  Keep up the great work -  Kellie
Dave Chambers
on 4/9/08 9:17 am - Mira Loma, CA
Go to http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=92#fo odsources for an extensive listing of protein rich foods. For a cheap and high protein snack, use dried peas: 1/4 cup has 6 grams or protein, costing $1.35 per pound at www.clarksnutrition.com under snack foods.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

stitch0102
on 4/9/08 10:15 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
GNC has their own brand of 100% whey protein.  About 20g protein per scoop.  Not high in sugars.  They have 2 sizes of containers.  They also often have buy one get the second at half price.  The vanilla mixes well with just about anything and doesn't taste that bad.  I do not use it in water or milk though as that does taste yucky.  It's good in smoothies.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Diana M.
on 4/9/08 11:30 pm - NC
Hey Marilyn- Honey, to start off with I am so sorry for your struggle.  Secondly, I just want to offer you a tip that I use.  I am only 9 months post op, however, I bought a BODY FOR LIFE COOKBOOK- called EATING FOR LIFE.  Now, I do not follow this plan, but I do frequently use the recipes in this book because they are LOW FAT, HEALTHY, and VERY HIGH IN PROTEIN.  Now, his recipes do include protein powders at times, but I just use a EAS brand that they carry at walmart.  Just so you will know, his recipes are not crash worthy diets and they are portion smart.  I will pray for you and pray that God will give you the strength to overcome this struggle. 
Pam T.
on 4/10/08 1:13 am - Saginaw, MI
Good for you in getting back on track!  Sometimes admitting that you need help is the hardest step to take.... so I'm proud of you for ramping up your exercise and going to support groups again.  You're definitely moving in the right direction to see great success! You should be getting at least 60g - 80g protein per day.  I personally shoot for closer to 80g-100g because I'm in the hair loss stage and protein helps slow that down.  Also protein helps speed up the weight loss, so I'm all for that! I keep track of my food intake on www.fitday.com.  This helps me keep an eye on my protein intake throughout the day without having to do any math (cuz I'm lazy like that!).  And since I keep track of my food throughout the day I can see right away if I'm going to be short on protein at the end of the day and need to adjust my plans for dinner or add an extra protein shake before bed.  Tracking my food also keeps me honest with myself about snacking on naughty foods and allows me to keep tabs on my calories. As for protein powders.  There are hundreds of flavors and brands available.  You want to look for WHEY protein - this is the best absorbed type of protein for gastric bypass folks.  And because there are so many different kinds you need to try a lot of them to find the ones that work best for you.  I would suggest buying some samples and trying them until you find some you like.  I posted a list of resources for buying/finding samples online and locally.  The full post in in my OH Profile -- I posted this when I was 1 month out from surgery. ----------------------------------- www.enjoyhealth.com -- I ordered their 21-flavor pack which gave me a chance to try out the Nectar and Champion flavors.  I found a couple that I loved.

www.bariatriceating.com -- They also have samples at reasonable prices.  I ordered about a dozen different flavors from their ale-carte selection. 

www.vitalady.com -- I haven't ordered from her, but I hear that many have had great success with her samples as well.

GNC -- They have a few varieties for sale but also often have samples under the counter that they give away.  I was in my local GNC the other day and mentioned I was having problems finding a vanilla brand that I loved and the sales clerk gave me 5 packages of 2 different brands of powder to try.  For free.

Also, if you're a part of a support group locally, ask the members to all bring you a scoop of their favorite in a ziploc baggie.  This will let you try a variety without cost and they are always more than happy to help a fellow newbie out!

I am 4 weeks out and finally found 1 powder that I LOVE (Champion Cookies -n- Cream) so I've only bought 1 jar of powder (best price at www.allstarthealth.com).  Otherwise I've been living on samples.
--------------------------- Good luck! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active