Vitamins

seattle_homme
on 4/8/08 8:00 am - Seattle, WA
Hello All, I am scheduled to have my RNY surgery in about four weeks. I am in business mode now and am trying to get all of my vitamins purchased. I am having trouble choosing the vitamins because of fears of dumping or wrteched tastes. Searching around, it seems like all the reviews have some people dumping, but not others, and I am really confused. I am assuming liquid for the first month, and then a chewable after that? Is it really that hard to take a regular pill after a couple of months? I would love some advise from a bunch of RNY people. In particular, could you give me the following information: 1. What multi-vitamin (that worked - although it might be useful to know what made you dump too) did you use: BONUS: Where is the best (cheapest) place to get it? 2. Which Calcium did you use (again, the bonus applies ;-) 3. And finally, for the B-12 as well. Thanks everyone!
dawnmaher
on 4/8/08 3:35 pm - Surprise, AZ
I am 11 days post op and have been taking flintstone complete chewables every day before and since surgery.  No problem and they were recommended by my Dr. Good luck! Dawn
cbhjr98
on 4/8/08 5:16 pm
I have had no problems swallowing the equiv of two tylenol size pills at a time.  I know a lot of RNY'ers can't swallow pills like I can, though. I personally use a Multi- soft gel capsule. It is bigger than what most people can take though. After I finish this bottle since I have now progressed to tablets without problems, I am going to go back to GNC Women's Ultra-mega vitamins since the softgels are a lot more expensive. The B-12 I use a sublingual from CVS by Nature's Bounty that was fairly inexpensive and it was 2500mcg. The calcium citrate w/ D that I use was also CVS brand, as well. Hope this helps!

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Diana M.
on 4/8/08 10:07 pm - NC
For the first 2 months after my surgery I did the flinstones chewables with iron.  Then after getting tired of the taste, They recommended a regular vitamin, Walgreens brand is what I use because it is a complete Multivitamin with iron that is about the size of or smaller than a regular size aspirin and it has a little coating on the outside.  It also says on the bottle something like lab tested to dissolve in less than 60 minutes.  Runs about 3 or 4 bucks for 100.  Something for you to think about a few months after surgery.  As for Calcium, I just use Calcium Citrate Petites.  I don't take a B12 supplement regularly, just occasionally and my levels are/have been perfect!  Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.  If you need post op support, just PM me.
Dave Chambers
on 4/8/08 11:31 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I had RNY in May, 2006. I've tried a variety of pills, chewables, and other forms. Here is what I use and found it to be most convenient. I hate to swallow large pills, which most adult vitamins and calcium citrate pills are shaped.  I opted for a high B level liquid vitamin that's listed in the PDR and had additional health benefits for the obese person losing weight. It's mentioned on my profile page. Secondly, I also use a calcium citrate powder, mixed with shakes or oatmeal, etc.. This way I have no large pills to swallow--vitmains or calcium citrate. And the liquid vitamins supplies more than twice the RDA levels in one ounce of liquid.  I opted for the simple away around my phobia about large pills--and I know there are many out there with the same feeling. I still take my prescription meds, but those are small pills, easily swallowed.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/08 2:08 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
My nutritionist suggested using chewables for the first couple months after surgery to aid absorption, plus it's easier on our pouch.  I went through one or two bottles of the children's chewable vitamins from Trader Joe's, then switched to a women's mega multi-vitamin in regular pill form.  I still buy my sublingual B-12 at Trader Joe's - can't remember the exact price, but it's cheaper than any place else I've found.   Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!! Kellie
Pam T.
on 4/10/08 1:28 am - Saginaw, MI
1. What multi-vitamin (that worked - although it might be useful to know what made you dump too) did you use: BONUS: Where is the best (cheapest) place to get it? I finally settled on Centrum Adult Chewable Multi-Vitamins.  I did some extensive research on various multi-vitamins - some recommended by my Nut, some recommended here on OH.  I post the spreadsheet I created on my blog.  Here's the link:  http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/01/mulit-vitamin-compari son.html I buy mine at Wal-Mart because it's convenient ($10/100ct) but I've heard that CVS often has sales on this kind - but I never go to CVS so I never catch the sales.  LOL

2. Which Calcium did you use (again, the bonus applies ;-) I use UpCal D.  It's a powdered calcium citrate with Vit D.  It mixes into anything you're eating or drinking (even plain water) and it's totally tasteless.  I actually just dump the tiny scoop of powder on my tongue and take a swallow of water.  We definitely need CALCIUM CITRATE after surgery for the best absorption.  I buy my UpCalD from Colonial Medical -- they have an Amazon.com storefront or you can buy directly from their website.  I have links to their products on my OH profile - here's the link:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/uzone,blog/action, comments/blog_id,61570/blog_post_id,142721/  It's $10.95 for 227 servings for the 16oz jar. Or you can get 120 individual packets to carry in your purse for $11.95.  Best prices I've been able to find on the web is from Colonial Medical.

3. And finally, for the B-12 as well. I buy my sublingual B12 from Wal-Mart.  It's 5000mcg and I take it 3 times per week (according to my surgeon's instructions).  I think it's about $4.95 for 60ct -- or something like that.  Good luck! Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

seattle_homme
on 4/10/08 3:16 am - Seattle, WA
Hey Pam! Thank you for your excellent post! As well, your blog is incredible!! THis is the type of info I needed.
Most Active