10 days post op, help please

dawnmaher
on 4/7/08 2:06 pm - Surprise, AZ
10 days out post op for RNY and i am having very little problems with anything until i get to the  protein drinks and anything that taste sweet.  i simply cannot seem to tolerate protein drinks without gaging and i can never get it all in. It makes me nauseous just to think of having one and I have tried several.  Both with water and with milk.   I seem to be having an adversion to anything other than bland.  i have started having 1/4 cup refried beans or a soft boiled egg ( both mashed well and chewed well) as well as cottage cheese and unsweetened applesauce as my main choices for meals. . None of it seems to bother me at all even with gas.  Water is my mainstay and i drink lots of it.  I even tolerate skim milk well by itself.  Is this diet ok for me to continue?  my surgeon said i had to be on full liquids for 3 weeks but he even considered applesause to be a full liquid.  I dont want to do any damage but everything, including the plumbing, is working just fine.  Please advise.  Thanks so much.  Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/08 10:43 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

I'd suggest running this past your surgeon or dietician, just to make sure it's okay.  I could not tolerate most protein drinks after surgery -- they just tasted disgusting and the textures were awful, so thick and goopy.  Yuck.  For the most part the only "liquid protein" I could tolerate was the No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast made w/ skim milk.  I also added non-fat powdered milk to it for extra protein (1/4 c. non-fat powdered milk, 1 packet CIB, 1 c. skim milk).  Not the greatest "protein" drink, but it got me through.   I also used some of the no-carb Isopure, which I found at The Vitamin Shoppe.  It comes in various fruity flavors - I could tolerate one of the orange flavors as long as it was super cold.   Good luck getting through the first few phases after your surgery!!! Kellie

dawnmaher
on 4/8/08 4:00 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks Kellie,   I to have found the carnation one to be the most tolerable but still pretty bad after a few sips.  Everyone mentions the Isopure, i guess i will give it a try even tho the thought of it makes me gag lol.  who knew eating would be this hard!   Dawn
Pam T.
on 4/8/08 3:33 am - Saginaw, MI
How many grams of protein are you getting in at this point?  I know it took me until I was about 1 month out before I ever hit my 60g/day goal, but I came close pretty often from about 10-days out going forward.   Protein is VERY important at this early stage.  One of the main tasks of protein is to heal your wounds, repair damaged cells and create new red blood cells --- all will help you heal from surgery faster and be more healthy with adequate protein.   So give the protein shakes another try.  Have you tried freezing them until they are like ice cream?  Or how about blending them with ice so they are like a Wendy's Frosty?  Also try adding things to the shake to change the flavor -- mix with crystal light instead of water or add Divinci sugar free syrups.  Or you might try the Isopure in the glass bottles that taste a bit like diluted crystal lite - get them at GNC.   I also have a list of resources in my profile here on OH for where to buy samples of protein powder on the internet and locally.  Might want to check those out so you can try as many different flavors and brands as possible.  It took me trying 21 flavors before I found ONE that I liked enough to buy a whole jar of.  Took me trying another couple dozen samples to find a couple more flavors I liked.  It's a long hard process to find a protein powder that works for you -- just keep trying. Good luck Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

dawnmaher
on 4/8/08 3:58 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks Pam,  I do mix them with ice and my bullet.  Right now i am only getting about 30 grams per day max. and thats not even every day.  i am losing and healing really well so i hope my intake is not too deficient at this stage.  I will try your profile to find out where to order samples.  That will be a big help.   I can't imagine being able to just eat enough foods at this stage to get the 60 grams, my pouch wouldnt hold all that!   Thanks for your encouragement!  Dawn
Most Active