Protein Shakes with fruit??

maggie2006
on 4/7/08 5:03 am - Hialeah, FL
Hi everyone! Does anyone adds fruits to their protein shakes?  Since I've gained some weight, I was thinking of doing just liquids for a few days but I can't stand the taste of the protein shakes anymore...I think if I add some fruit I would probably tolerate them, but I'm not sure if this would work because fruits are high in sugar..What do you guys think? All suggestions / opinions greatly appreciated! Hugs, maggie

stitch0102
on 4/7/08 5:46 am - Jersey Shore, PA
I use fruit quite often in my shakes.  I use frozen fruits as they take the place of some ice and make the shake more of a smoothie.  I use a base of 3-4 ice cubes, 1/2 c FF vanilla yogurt, 1-1.5 scoops of protein, and about 1/2 c of light soy milk.  I then add a half cup of fruit or maybe a banana with peanut butter.  the combinations are endless.  Sometimes I use a small can of NS juice instead of the soy milk.  Blend them all together and enjoy.  The fruit sugars aren's that bad.  Just buy frozen fruit without sugar or buy fresh fruit and freeze.  I do that with bananas.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

maggie2006
on 4/7/08 5:57 am - Hialeah, FL
Thank you soooo much Stitch!   I will definitely give it a try....Congratulations on your amazing weight loss...I saw your pictures, you look absolutely fantastic!  What an inspiration !

butterjoy
on 4/7/08 7:59 am - Elkview, WV
THOSE ARE GREAT IDEAS!  GOT A QUESTION, CAN YOU ACTUALLY FREEZE BANANAS?? I KNOW YOU CAN FREEZE MOST FRUIT BUT THIS IS A NEW ONE FOR ME.  JOY

* Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every obstacle faced together makes the circle stronger. The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.   
     I have reached my goal! Praying angel:9896

stitch0102
on 4/7/08 10:47 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
I just peel them, slice them up, and put in a plastic zip bag.  Put in enough for a serving.  Then you just break them up a bit and mix your smoothie.  Makes it cold and thicker.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

butterjoy
on 4/9/08 12:50 pm - Elkview, WV
THANK YOU!  I AM GOING TO DO THAT.

* Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every obstacle faced together makes the circle stronger. The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.   
     I have reached my goal! Praying angel:9896

LizzyL
on 4/7/08 10:27 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hi Maggie, Go easy on the fruit. Only add a few fruits at a time to your shakes. Be careful with the peanut butter also. Peanut butter has sugar in it as well. Adding everything together might be too sweet for you and that will cause you to get sick and dump. And if you don't get sick right away , you may have a late dumping later on. I'd be very careful with mixing everything together. Add some fruits and see how you tolerate it. and then go from there. Enjoy! :-) hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

maggie2006
on 4/7/08 10:31 pm - Hialeah, FL
Hi Lizzy! I agree with you,  one of my concerns was the sugar in the fruit, so I used soy milk instead of regular low fat milk because it has way less sugar & carbs.  I have not tried the peanut butter.  This morning for breakfast I had: 1 cup soy milk, 1 scoop vanilla unjury protein & some fresh pineapple chunks....IT WAS YUMMY!!  Very satisfying, I also bought papaya, organic strawberries & blackberries.  Let's see how it goes!   Hugs,  maggie

Dave Chambers
on 4/7/08 11:20 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Yes, the first few weeks post op I experimented with adding fruits. I tried 1/2 banana, or 1/2c strawberries or blueberries, etc. If you go to www.bulkfoods.com you can order whey protein there unflavored, and make your own flavors.  Pineapple and grapes are the higher sugar content fruits.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

marsh76367
on 4/25/08 5:50 am - IOWA PARK, TX
I couldn't stand my protein shakes without some fruit in them!  I use Libby's splenda sweetened pineapple. or splenda sweetened mandarin oronges.  Also, Dole has some splenda sweetened fruit cups with peaches .  I usually add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup fruit, a scoop of protein powder, a few ice cubes, splenda and skim milk.  If you use strawberry protein powder or orange protein powder, I add crystal light  in a corresponding flavor instead of milk-- strawberry tangerine, or orange sunrise, etc.  It makes a WORLD of difference in the taste.    Also, I use the dole reduced sugar orange juice-- 10 calories, low sugar, etc. in the protein shakes-- makes an out of this world tropical smoothie with pineapple and/or frozen mango chunks.  Da Vinci has a sugar free pineapple syrup too, that I add sometimes to make a tropical smoothie.  I experiment a lot with protein shakes.  The bottom line is, whatever it takes to make them palatable to you!  You gotta get the protein in.
Most Active