blood test for protein deficiency

DrPepper
on 4/7/08 2:34 am, edited 4/7/08 4:34 am
Is there a blood test that will tell if a person is deficient in protein? If so, what is it called? Is protein deficiency the cause of lots of hair loss? Thanks
Tex Girl .
on 4/7/08 5:16 am - TX
There is a test to check protein levels.  A dietician checked my levels.  Maybe, google it to find the name.  Take Biotin 5000mcgs for the hair loss.  I think that is from the surgery itself and comes on about 4 months after surgery.

Beginning Wt- / Wt Now / Goal Wt=  310 / 172 / 131              
Revision to REALIZE Lap-band, 1st Fill 4/8/08 3 cc's in 9 cc band, Now 8 cc's in 9 cc band.

DrPepper
on 4/7/08 8:56 am
Thanks a lot, I will check into getting some Biotin.
Pam T.
on 4/7/08 7:08 am - Saginaw, MI

Yes.  It's called "Pre-Albumin".  This will test your blood protein levels. As for hair loss - it happens.  It's part of the process.  How far out from surgery are you?

Remember that hair is made up of protein and one of protein's tasks is to help with hair growth.  But other more important tasks that protein has to perform is wound healing, repair of damagaed cells, creation of new red blood cells and providing energy to our muscles (your heart is a muscle).  So make sure you are getting at least your 60g of protein per day and increase it even more if you're able.  Obviously if you aren't getting enough protein your body is going to use what little you're giving it for the most important tasks first -- hair is way down on that list.

I started losing my hair at the 3 month mark and was eating 60g of protein per day.  About a month later I started increasing my protein intake to hit the 80-100g per day mark and now at almost month 5, I'm noticing a dramatic slow down in my hair loss. You can also take the B-Vitamin Biotin.  It doesn't stop hair loss, but it will help the new hair that grows back to be super healthy.   Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

DrPepper
on 4/7/08 9:00 am
Thanks for the information Pam. Is pre-albumin part of the CBC? I'm just short of six months out from surgery and I am struggling in the protein department. I don't think I have ever even gotten close to 60 grams a day in. I will try Biotin. Where is the best place to buy it at? Thanks again.
sarard
on 4/7/08 9:44 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Pre albumin is not a part of a CBC. For WLS purposes, a CBC is only going to tell you about your hemoglobin and hematocrit. You need to ask your doctor for pre-albumin. However, if you have never eaten more than 60 g of protein since surgery, you don't need a blood draw to tell your doctor or dietitian that you are protein deficient. It's clear that you're protein deficient. You need to increase your protein intake. Without dietary protein, your body will break down your muscles for protein. Your heart is a muscle. You need to increase your protein right away. Biotin won't help unless you are taking adequate protein ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
DrPepper
on 4/7/08 1:48 pm

Thank you for the information Sarard. I am very afraid of what could be happening because of the lack of enough protein in my body. I cannot tolerate any protein drinks. I try to eat as much protein as possible but I'm still way short of the goal. Besides my meals which are primarily protein, I eat nuts for snacks. I just can't eat very much at a time though. What exactly can happen to the heart muscle? I'm sick to my stomach from fear right now. Thanks again.

Pam T.
on 4/8/08 3:44 am - Saginaw, MI
Your body NEED protein to survive.  If you don't feed it enough protein it will begin to "leach" protein from what is stored in your muscle.  This is called muscle wasting.  You have to maintain a certain amount of lean body mass (muscle) in order to function - stand upright, heart to beat strong, lift things ... all the stuff you need muscle for.  If your body starts to feed off itself and taking protein from your muscle you will start to lose the ability to function.  Your heart is the biggest and strongest muscle in your body -- I'd hate for my body to start feeding on that muscle because I can't eat enough protein. Look in my profile here on OH.  I have a list of resources for where to buy protein powder samples.  I had to try 21 flavors before I found ONE that worked for me.  Then I had to try another couple dozen flavors before I found a couple more that tasted good.  You just have to keep trying and trying and trying until you find a protein powder that you can drink.  There's no way we can get enough protein from our food at this early stage.  We just don't have enough room in our pouches for that much protein --- plus it's harder for your body to digest food-based protein than it is for the pre-digested protein found in powders.   I know it's scary to think about.  Sometimes fear is a really good motivator to try harder.  I would suggest you do a lot of research on the nutrition we need after surgery.  Here's an article you can start with: http://www.ajhp.org/cgi/content/full/63/19/1852  HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

DrPepper
on 4/8/08 8:09 pm
Thank you for posting this very important information Pam. I just read your profile and it has a lot of very well written information on it as well. I'm going to try some different protein types so I can attempt to get the required amounts in. I already had muscle wasting (from an illness) before my weight loss surgery so it would be hard to tell how the lack of adequate protein is affecting me at this point. What symptoms would tell me if my heart is being affected? Thanks again and take care.
Shelly H.
on 4/7/08 7:28 am - Norman, OK
Hair loss is also triggered by surgery, anesthesia, trauma, etc. It happened to me both times I had our children with C-sections. Major hormone changes or surgery, etc. will trigger all your hair into the same *shed* cycle, so it all sheds at basically the same time. I looked like I had a severely receding hairline after both of our children about 4 months out. But, it all will grow back! That's the good news. Vitamins will help, especially Biotin.
Blessings and Best Wishes! Shelly

I'm a 52.5 yr. old female with chronic illness ... exercising and riding a bike daily! : )

Most Active