Question for the dietitian-suggestions from others welcome too!

Diana M.
on 4/4/08 1:24 am, edited 4/4/08 12:02 pm - NC
Hi- my name is Diana and I am 9 months post op yesterday and I have lost 115lbs.  The weight (I feel) has come to an almost screaming halt because 15 lbs has been trickling off since January.  How many calories should I consume in a day?  I have almost lost all of my weight, but I have 15lbs that I want to get off and I am scared that I have lost all that I am going to lose.  I don't want to sound ungrateful for what I have lost, but I am not ready to stop until I get to my goal.  Any suggestions would be great.  I started off at 262lbs and am now at 147.  I really would like to see 132-135.  I am 5'5" and 26 years old.  I hope to hear from you soon and thanks for taking the time to help! ~Diana
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/08 4:27 am - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, Diana.  I'm not a nutritionist, but I play one on TV The appropriate daily calorie intake can vary greatly for each of us.  It depends on your resting metabolism (how many calories your body burns in 24 hours) and how much you exercise.  Without more information, it's really impossible to offer suggestions that will really work.   If you are not sure how many calories you are eating each day, I would encourage you to start keeping a daily food journal.  There are several websites where you can do this online (fitday.com, thedailyplate.com, sparkpeople.com) or you can buy software for a PDA from calorieking.com.  You can also just track w/ pen and paper if that's easier for you.  Keeping a daily food journal is helpful for several reasons.  First, it helps keep you accountable for your food choices.  If I have to write it down, I may think twice before eating that piece of chocolate.  Second, you'll know how many calories, carbs, fats, proteins, and fiber grams you're getting each day (well, you will if you use one of the online trackers).  That's helpful when you're stuck, or losing slowly, because then you should be able to come up with some ideas about things you need to change.  (Increase calories, decrease calories, increase exercise, drink more fluids, eat less carbs, eat more carbs, eat more protein, etc.)   I've been keeping a daily food and weight journal for 2 years now.  It's been super helpful as my weight loss has slowed to a crawl because I can really see the relationship between how many calories I eat, and what those calories are made of (carbs, fats, proteins) affects my weight.  I plan to continue keep a food journal indefinitely as "insurance" against weight rebound/regain... My weight loss really slowed down at about 14-15 months, I've still lost pretty consistently since then, but now I'm lucky if I lose 2-3 pounds a month.  (I'm 29+ months out, started at 396 pounds and am at 190 pounds today, at 5'7" tall.)  But you can definitely still lose after the "honeymoon" is over, it just takes more effort.   Are you exercising at all?  For me, I think exercise will be key to keeping my weight off long-term.  I've become an exercise junkie -- I work out 10-12 hours per week, sometimes 2 times in one day -- but I've actually come to really like working out.  If you are exercising, can you crank things up a notch or two?  If you are not exercising, is that something you're willing to explore?  That may help you drop the last 15 pounds and make it easier to maintain when you hit goal.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
sarard
on 4/4/08 10:41 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi Diana, I did reply to you in a PM. You will need a full nutritional assessment to adequately answer this question for you, especially since you've come to a bit of plateau. I'm sorry it's not a quick & easy answer for you. Consider making a personal appointment with a registered dietitian. If one is not connected with your surgeon, then you can check www.eatright.org, enutritioncare.com, or click: find a: other professional on the OH website. Good luck!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active