Juicer vs Bullet

janetb_skinny
on 4/3/08 12:01 pm - Los Banos, CA
OK, my wonderful hubby just out of the blue decided to show me he 'really is being supportive' by ordering me a $150 Jack LaLanne's power juicer. I have been hearing a lot about the usefulness of the Magic Bullet here on OH, but nothing about juicers. So, what I want to know is, which is better for preparing 'meals' for Gastric Bypass patients? Of course, I've already upset him by suggesting I would rather have the bullet (I can't afford BOTH), but I thought I'd put the question to the forums. Any help/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

janetb_healthy?!   5'4" -- HW 220/SW 211/CW 130/GW 130, Cbmi 22.3!

Zeldarin
on 4/5/08 8:10 am - IN
I have the bullet, and I have to admit that when I can afford the VitaMixer, I am going to trade up.  If the Juicer is a much better product and I suspect it is, I would keep it.  The bullet is nice for "fresh" fruits and veggies, but frozen or soups or anything like that and it really doesn't do well.  Even when I am using berries, I will get halfway through the glass and it gets chunky because the bullet didn't get it chopped up all the way.

HW/SW/CW/GOAL
217/206/145/136
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda April 8th/2010
Mini AL, Mini TT, Medial TL, BA, Lipo

drosch1
on 4/5/08 1:14 pm - PA
i have the bullet and have been using it for years...i love it.  i do not have a juicer...im 3 years out and really dont do many protein shakes anymore and havent since about 1 1/2 years out.  but everyone is different in using shakes.   i use frozen fruits  that i freeze from summertime picking.  i toss it in with some milk and some isopure (vanilla)  its very tasty.  i only use one scoop of the isopure at a time.  then i flip it over and i have the glass ready for my commute.  very easy.  good luck!
wendy_fou
on 4/5/08 3:36 pm - AR

You can get a magic bullet from Target for $60 (even less if you wait for a sale).  http://www.target.com/7712-Magic-Bullet-Express/dp/B000AEZVR S/sr=1-1/qid=1207459751/ref=sr_1_1/602-7626323-9355005?ie=UT F8&index=target&rh=k%3Amagic%20bullet&page=1 I don't know if it really IS better because I have never used the Jack LaLanne power juicer.  I have a magic bullet and I love it.  In fact, not only do I love it, so do my kids.  They use it to make smoothies even more than I do!  LOL It is compact (about the size of a 2 liter bottle of coke with the cup on the top).  So you can leave it on your countertop all the time without it being another "big appliance" sitting there.  It also travels very well so that is convenient.  It's small enough to even keep in your desk drawer at work.   It is SUPER easy to use.  Like I said, my 11 & 13 year old use it as much or more than I do.  It really does turn ice cubes into a slushy consistency NO PROBLEM.   I love my bullet.  (However, since I know next to NOTHING about the Jack LaLanne power juice, I can't say that it's better or worse!) If he's already ordered the juicer, I'd just use it and see if it works well.  If it doesn't, I'd order the bullet.  You could use the excuse that you need it for work or a portable one or something.  (Men really are sensitive when they try to do something for us and we don't 100% agree and fall on our knees in thanks for it.  I think it makes them feel like they did something wrong or hurts their feelings.)  So I'd probably pet him and tell him how much you love him while you tell him that you'll be needing the magic bullet.  I might even use babytalk.... who knows. 

yamigurljamie
on 4/6/08 1:57 am
I have both and I use them for different purposes. If you are juicing fresh, hard vegetables, then the juicer is the way to go. If you need to make smoothies, the bullet is easier and better to clean. You cannor use the juicer to add things like protein powder or grind ice, yogurt, or blend berries. Nutritionally and economically, the Bullet is the way to go. You can buy ready made juices and add them to your bullet (Odwalla is the best brand.)
Most Active