Chicken Soup Broth

happyinoz
on 4/3/08 12:40 am - Lebanon, MO
I am in the 2 week liquid pre-op diet and I need to know WHY liquids??? Is it just to make sure u keep to the 1000 cals a day? The reason I ask is this. Last night (day one) I was wanting some chicken brother and all I had was chicken noodle. I just strained the broth out and drank it. I was looking at the can though and noticed that the total calories were LESS then my shakes and the protein was the same. CAN I EAT chicken noodle soup or am I restricted to the broth for some reason besides calories?

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge. Ps 18:2 

Robin W.
on 4/3/08 6:48 am - Franklin, OH
Every doc is different.  I never had to do anything other than no food after midnight.  A lot of people need to shrink the liver in order to have a safer surgery. Call your docs office and ask them why they want full  liquids is your best bet.  Good Luck, Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

rolmar
on 4/3/08 7:25 am - Greenacres, FL
Hi,  I agree with Robin. I was told it was to help shrink your liver to make access to your stomach easier. Calorie intake was never mentioned. I also feel it helped getting me prepared for the liquid diet to follow after surgery. I had "mourned" so to speak the loss of food during this 2 week pre-op period and by the time my surgery date arrived, I was ready for it. I did have Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup without the noodles almost every night for dinner pre-op. I became so sick of it that I have not had it since. But it was good at the time. Even in the hospital post-operatively, I never drank that broth again!  Best wishes on your upcoming surgery! Mary Beth :-)

happyinoz
on 4/5/08 1:47 am - Lebanon, MO
It's good to hear that someone else has "mourned" the loss of fod. Maybe that's what is wrong with me. I feel very depressed almost, and VERY moody. In fact my mood swings are so bizarre as to almost be like I'm pmsing...I'm not though. I wake up in a good mood, love life, love my kids, feel ready to take on the day an whatever the liquid has to offer, by "suppertime" I feel homicidal ad ready to chew the arm off of anyone who gets between me and my cup of broth. I'm also VERY weepy. I will agree, campbell's minus noodles is saving my life. That or beef consomme (SP?) are what I have for supper. I just wish I could feel more upbeat. I'm getting to the point where I'm wondering if my moods are a sign that this is not the right thing to do. I'm also getting to the point where I'm gonna chuck this laptop out the window if my keys don't stop working lol.

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge. Ps 18:2 

rolmar
on 4/5/08 3:42 am - Greenacres, FL

Hang in there......You will get through it! I promise, I did! The pre-op diet was extremely difficult for me as well. After surgery, it won't be as hard but still no picni****il you can start soft foods. Sugar-Free Ice pops and SF jello also helped me pre-operatively and, as with the chicken broth, I have not eaten either since. I hated the look and smell of protein shakes after surgery too. Now that did not help me one bit when that was all you are supposed to eat! It was also difficult preparing food for loved ones and not being able to sample it. But I made it through and you will also. In my opinion, all of your feelings and emotions are normal. I really think the doctors instruct you on this pre-op diet to help your liver shrink, as well as help you mentally prepare by working out some of those feelings. If it does not get better, you may want to just run it by the psychologist who cleared you preoperatively. They may just offer some information to give you that little edge to get you through surgery day!  I'll be waiting for you on the Loser's Bench.   Mary Beth :-)

happyinoz
on 4/5/08 5:42 am - Lebanon, MO
I just about to croak from this liquid diet. Right now I think I'd sign an Army re-enlist paper if they offered me a ribeye sandwich and some fries. I'm working through anger right now. I'm mad number one cause I DO want this stuff so bad, number 2 because I feel like 1000 cals is 1000 cals and who cares HOW we get it until the day before when we HAVE to be on liquids medically speaking. *SIGH* Oh well. Thank you for your help!

Most Active