CAFFEINE-WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS????????/

JCDAD
on 3/29/08 11:41 pm
RNY on 02/04/08 with
I'VE ASKED THE QUESTION SEVERAL DAYS AGO ABOUT WHETHER CAFFEINE WAS HARMFUL OR NOT, AND GOT RESPONSES FROM  FELLOW PATIENTS. MY QUESTION IS WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS???.  CAFFEINE SEEMS TO AFFECT EVERY POST-OP PATIENT AND I  THOUGHT IT WOULD BRING (IF THERE ARE DIETICIANS WATCHING THE FORUM) OUT A DEFINITIVE RESPONSE.  JOHN
LizzyL
on 3/30/08 11:25 am, edited 3/30/08 11:26 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
keep in mind that Obesityhelp is all made up of volunteers... including us members and the Dietitian I read a post a while ago from one of the Dietitian on this board saying if ........... a member here answers your question and was correct......... Then there is no reason for the Dietitian to answer the question. in all fairness to the Dietitian's -Please remember .... they all do have lives and jobs that they do everyday  and somedays are unable to volunteer their time. being here on Obesityhelp.com is just a volunteer job for them to help us members out. i am sure somedays they are all very busy with their other things going on. please understand from their point of view

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

JCDAD
on 3/30/08 11:04 pm
RNY on 02/04/08 with
I APPRECIATE THE RESPONSE. HOWEVER, IF YOU READ RESPONSES FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME YOU SEE THE VARYING OPINIONS OF ALL THE MEMBERS.  I POSTED THE QUESTION BECAUSE I WANTED THE PROFESSIONAL OPINION(NOT TO MENTION DEFINITIVE) AND NOT THOSE OF WHO MIGHT HAVE HEARD OR THINK A CERTAIN WAY. I WOULD HOPE WHEN A TOPIC THAT AFFECTS MOST IF NOT ALL POST-OP PATIENTS A PROFESSIONAL WOULD INTERCEDE AND GIVE THEIR OPINION. THAT'S WHY IT WAS POSTED IN THIS FORUM. BELIEVE ME THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF OPINIONS ON OTHER FORUMS, BUT IT'S JUST THAT OPINIONS....THANKS AGAIN...JOHN
LizzyL
on 3/31/08 5:57 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
No problem....I understand.  Take care :-) Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

sarard
on 4/1/08 4:37 am - Costa Mesa, CA
John, we do our best to answer questions that pertain to the general post-op patient. Lizzy is right though, we are volunteers with full time jobs and family obligations as well. It's not always easy to catch all the questions. Should you have a question that you want one of us to answer, and we didn't - please PM one of us to alert us that the question is there. That helps us out A LOT!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 4/1/08 4:32 am - Costa Mesa, CA
John, There is no definitive response to your question. Follow your dietitian & surgeon's advice on caffeine. Every program has different rules. However, here's what I tell my clients : *If you drink 1-2 cups of caffeinated beverages each day, this is likely fine. No need to change anything -- that is if those caffeinated beverages are calorie-free & non-carbonated. If you are the type of person who drinks coffee all day long, you need to reduce your intake to less than 2 cups per day. A modest amount of caffeine is fine, but excessive intake can be harmful. * Bottom line, if your surgeon/dietitian says NO to caffeinated beverages, then follow their rules. You don't want to break the rules and have an angry surgeon or dietitian. That's never good. Good luck.
Registered Dietitian
JCDAD
on 4/1/08 11:14 am
RNY on 02/04/08 with
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I DIDN'T MEAN TO IMPUNE ANYONES EFFORTS. BUT IT DID APPEAR THAT POSTED QUESTIONS WOULD BE ANSWERED BY PROFESSIONALS WHERE APPLICABLE, AND NOT THE USUAL HAVING A BAD COMMENTS YOU FIND ON OTHER FORUMS. I RESPECT YOUR HELP TO PEOPLE AND THE TIME YOU SPENT EDUCATIING YOURSELF. I PARTIAL TO BRAINS AND EFFORT..CONTINUED GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE.....JOHN 
sarard
on 4/1/08 12:02 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Yes, you're right, we are here to answer questions when applicable. But if we miss them, just PM us or something to give us a 'heads up'. :)
Registered Dietitian
Most Active