5 Weeks out and I seem to be eating a lot of FOOD?? HELP PLEASE!

tobee43
on 3/30/08 12:40 am, edited 3/30/08 12:40 am - NJ
good morning, i am just being my 5th week out tomorrow and last thursday i was put on a "regular" diet by my surgeon. for me this was such a relief because i am allergic to all artifical sweeteners, flavors and coloring.....so protein shakes have been out for me. ( we have search the entire country with no luck finding anything i can take). with this move up the food chain it gave me more protein options such as lean cuts of beef, pork, etc. i weigh my food but it seems as though so many people have such a difficult time getting down just their protein. i have approx 2 and 1/2 meals a day...only because old habits just don't die easy....breakfast is and has always been extremely difficult for me...so for now i'm just getting down aprox 1 cup of skim plus instead of eating anything. i had just under 2 oz of beef last evening 1/4 cup of cooked steamed cabbage with oh so sweet onions, and  1/4 cup high protein 100% grain noodles (an additional 8 grams of protein per 1/2 cut of noodles.) well........i ATE the whole thing very slowly and small bites.......no tummy aches...no nothing...other than happiness??? (oH!!!! and not going to the bathroom much.....even with all that food in me..... that's scary to me too) that seems like a ton of food compared to everyone else so i'm VERY concerned! is my pouch too big to be able to handle all that food??? by doctor's says i'm doing perfect, but when i read the board it sounds as though i am way over eating for my time??? any advise or help would be greatly appreciated!

Amy_in_MA
on 3/30/08 2:13 am - Danvers, MA
I think it sounds like you're doing great and following the rules your surgeon/NUT have laid out for you. Comparing yourself to others will only frustrate you (I know first-hand)...so do your best NOT to do that. Talk to your surgeon, your NUT, and be completely honest with them so they can best advise you. But to me, it just sounds like you're having an uncomplicated and great progression back to "normal" eating. :)

tobee43
on 3/30/08 2:24 am - NJ
well, actually my nut and my surgeon come from two entirely different worlds!! that has made it somewhat difficult for me. you are right, i need to stop comparing. i was even told before the surgery i will most likely lose slower because of the medical problems which lead me to having this surgery...which was a complete shut down of my metabolium within the past year and 1/2. (i gained 80lbs in a year). so i wasn't expecting to lose as quickly honestly. my concerns are just that it appears to me that that is a lot more food than i expected. i have been getting to know my pouch and he's (my pouch is a HE),  beginning to make the signs clearer as to when to stop eating. however, i not only have not been getting the signs after this larger meal, but felt better!! i'm not seeing my surgeon for another 2 months since i saw him last week and he said i was doing fine..........but he reminded me to listen to HIM and not the NUT....so....there has been conflict there from day one. actually i left the hospital with FOUR that is 4 different diets to follow...it's been an uphill battle for sure. i just want to make sure i'm not eating to much. and i suppose that is where by fear is coming from. thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!! it is very much appreciated!! sue

Amy_in_MA
on 3/30/08 2:29 am - Danvers, MA
The reason to measure when you're early out is because the signals from your pouch may or may not be there...so measuring is the way to go (in my opinion). Also, know that your pouch doesn't fill and then start emptying. It's got an outlet at the bottom. So as soon as you start putting food it, it is also exiting the other end of the pouch (hopefully at a slower rate than we're putting in so we feel satisfied). So, it's not like you'll see the entire quantity of food you consumed enlarging your pouch because it's all in there at once. Also, veggies tend to have such a high water content that when all chewed up, they really take up very little room in the pouch. I can imagine how conflicting it must be to have a NUT and your surgeon at odds. Why doesn't he work with someone who's philosophy is in line with his? That would make it very difficult for patients trying to follow the rules...when there is more than one set of rules. :(

tobee43
on 3/30/08 2:40 am - NJ
well.....i most likely should clarify what i consider a lot of food.....there was absolutely NO more than two oz's of the meat.......and not much of the protein noodles or cabbage. that is...... compared to a regular portion. i weigh my meat and measure out my portions but as i said i just have never been able to finish them...so it was bit scary for me the first time finishing EVERYTHING! i'm only hitting between 500-700 calories total a day at this point and most coming from my protein sources.  i have quickly found there are no doctors or nuts that agree with each other period. for every post on this or any other board you have different rules their doctors or nuts want you to follow. i know many that at 4 weeks are still on "soft" diets....some even still on liquids...one thing i have found out for sure...there is NOTHING that makes any sense unless it works for you! i think that what makes this journey so difficult and odd. (leaving the hospital 5 weeks ago with 4 different diets is no help either). once again THANK you SO much for you impute and help!! sue

Most Active