protein and vitamins...confused by doctor....

MyMichelle
on 3/27/08 10:40 am - Fresno, CA
Hey, everyone!  I'm going to quote the paperwork I just got from the doctor's office at my pre-op appointment today.  It says: Although probably not harmful, most protein consumed during this time (immediately post-op) is simply burned as an energy source.  Therefore, taking protein supplements become an expensive way of slowing your weight loss.

Your body has stored the nutrition it needs for many months; therefore vitamin and protein supplements are not necessary for the first few weeks after surgery.  As your stomach heals and your food intake increases, we will concentrate on the nutritional principles that will support you for the rest of your life. So, it sounds like I don't need to take any supplements until a few weeks out.  So, what do you guys all think about this approach?  I know there are many different protocols, and I will, of course, follow my surgeon's directions.  I'm just curious about everyone's take on this and how it differs from what you've been taught.  Thanks for the input...  :)Michelle

stitch0102
on 3/27/08 10:44 pm - Jersey Shore, PA

First, remember that every program appears to be different.  It still amazes me how every doctor/program has different "rules." That said, I was told to use protein drinks, etc. from the beginning.  This is for healing.  It was a source of calories as well.  Was it a "waste of money," I doubt it.  I've never used the more expensive supplements. As for vitamins, etc. I was told not to use any until I had my follow-up appts.  I did take a multi-vitamin from the beginning though.  They didn't have me start calcium until a few weeks after. I guess the best advice is to listen to your program.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

Dave Chambers
on 3/27/08 10:56 pm - Mira Loma, CA

That doesn't sound right to me. My surgeon has done LAP RNY for 9 years, and done 3000 of them. He recommended taking some 60-80 grams of protein immediately, as well as starting the vitamins and calcium citrate too.  Why play "catch up" when your first labs show you are probably low in many vitamins??  I was taught just the opposite. And my blood levels came back fine on every test, except for Vitamin D.  It took a few months to get this corrected, even with prescription vitamin D. Every body is somewhat different, but I do think the common belief is to take these supplements daily after surgery. You won't get enough protein from meager bites of food after surgery, so supplemental protein is a must.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

deniseg
on 3/28/08 2:53 am, edited 3/28/08 2:55 am - Monticello, AR

It doesn't sound right to me either.  I started my mulit vitamin a week after surgery and my calcium citrate two weeks after surgery....my pre op labs showed I was fine with these vitamin levels and I wasn't starting off deficient in anything.  However, I started my protein supplement immediately.  Our bodies do not store protein, the body takes what it needs daily and flushes out the rest, so our protein levels must be replenished daily as it is not stored like many other nutrients. I agree that you should follow your surgeon's rules, but I would challenge them on the protein issue.  Hope this helps you some!

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Pam T.
on 3/28/08 3:04 am - Saginaw, MI
I agree with Denise.  We don't store protein and use up what we take in everyday and have to give it more tomorrow.  But the point I want to make is that if we don't take in enough protein for our body to function, the body will begin leaching nutrients from our muscle.  This is called muscle wasting.  And remember .... your HEART is a muscle.  Not a risk I'd want to take. It might help to know what the main tasks of protein are in the body: * heal damaged cells * heal wounds * create new red blood cells * feed muslce and provide energy * grow new hair * grow new fingernails * and a bunch of other cool stuff! I was given protein shakes as my first "food" after surgery while still in the hospital.  Water and protein shakes.  That's what your body NEEDS to heal itself after surgery. Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

agolder
on 3/28/08 10:53 pm
Well, its only been 3 weeks for me so I'm no expert but both my best friend and his wife had the surgery and the rule of thumb is min 60 g of protein for women and 70 g for men.  I've been taking anywhere from 90 - 110 g per day.  The way it was explained to me is that protein will help you heal better/faster. Alex
Most Active