Protein Bar for pre-op - anything that isn't barfy!!??

GlitterGal
on 3/27/08 5:22 am - Edmond, OK
I am trying to lose weight pre-op and I'm supposed to do 2 proteins bars and 2 protein shakes a day.  The shakes I can at least swallow.  The bars are barf inducing!  I can't do it!  Has anyone found protein bars that aren't horrible?   Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/08 5:36 am - Cleveland Heights, OH

Proteins bars are really a personal taste preference sort of thing.  Personally, I like Pure Protein bars in chocolate peanut butter, blueberry crumb, or strawberry crumb, with the chocolate peanut butter being my hands-down favorite.   I also ate the Power Crunch bars early out after my surgery, because I could chew them down to mush and they sat well in my pouch.  They taste like sugar-wafer cookies.  I'm not sure how satisfying I would have found them as a pre-op in terms of hunger satisfaction, but my tastebuds sure liked them.   Last recommendation are for Twisted protein bars by Premier Nutrition.  I found these in one of my local grocery stores and really like them, but haven't seen them again.  Anyway, here's a link to their website http://www.premiernutrition.com/products/twisted.html Good luck finding something you like.  And keep in mind that what you like as a pre-op may be different than what you like post-op!  After surgery, I really couldn't tolerate protein bars that had a lot of artificial sweeteners - they just didn't taste good any more....   Kellie

ECUMindy
on 3/27/08 5:57 am - Winterville, NC
I have really struggled to find a good protein bar that I like... I loved the Special K protein bars, but have been told they are a "glorified candy bar" b/c they are so high in sugar (17g sugar per bar with only 10g protein ). I went to the store and stared at all the options. This lady came up and recommended the Atkins Advantage Caramel bars.  I got a box of them (about $5.00) and I have to say they are the best I've found. They are similiar to a Milky Way or Snickers... I definitely can eat these for a snack. Here is the nut info: Per Bar: 150 calories 7g fat 17g carb (Net Atkins 3g carbs if you are counting those-- don't know how substational that is, but anyway) 1g sugar 0g sugar alcohol 9g fiber 11g protein For the protein and low sugar, I feel like it was a good option. I can eat about half the bar for one snack. :)  Good luck!!!

Melinda
373/334/184/188/175/ - Highest/Surgery/Lowest-PrePregnancy/Current/First Goal

It's a BOY!

GlitterGal
on 3/27/08 6:36 am - Edmond, OK
Thank you very much for your replies!  I'll give these a try.  I need to figure this out because my NUT is not going to be happy with  me right  now.
wendy_fou
on 3/28/08 5:38 am - AR
I think the Atkins Advantage morning bars taste good.  The chocolate chip & the peanut butter both taste good. 
Tex Girl .
on 3/28/08 2:39 pm - TX
POWER CRUNCH don't confuse with Power Bar.  It is the Power "CRUNCH".  Every flavor is delicious.  I have to hide from the kids.  I found them at HEB Grocery store, Gnc and Vitamin shoppe.  Heb was the cheapest, .99 cents.
Brenda P.
on 4/6/08 7:09 am - GA
I recently found Twisted Bars at Target. Someone on another board recommended them. They come in peanut butter and chocolate. A box of 6 is about $5. They have pretzels on the top covered in the chocolate or peanut butter. 190 calories and pretty filling with 15grams of protein.

Most Active