Does the Dr . tell you

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/08 9:46 pm - Center Ossipee, NH
Someone posted that i should not order the RNY package of vitamins , because I haven`t been told i need the B 12 yet, or the Iron.                                 Should I wait then?                I thought we all needed them. Secondly do we get labs at 6 months or before?
Robin W.
on 3/24/08 11:32 pm - Franklin, OH

Every doc is different on to when they want blood work. Then the blood work will tell you what vitamins you need to take. If you think your missing something ask them to take your labs and then go from there.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

Dave Chambers
on 3/25/08 7:48 am - Mira Loma, CA
I would imagine you would have some labs between 1 and 3 months. Waiting 6 months sounds too long to me. If you're deficient in a vitamin, it would be harder to recover after 6 months.  Iron may not be needed, but your labs will tell. My support group says that most women of child bearing years are now recommended to take iron supplements. If you do take them take them an hour apart from your calcium citrate.  B12 will be needed immediately. Shots, sublingual or liquid are much better than pills.  You need a minimum of twice the RDA of adult vitamins. With all of these things, you'll end up taking pills multiple times each day. I chose to use a powdered calcium citrate, that I mix with foods or shakes. For my vitamins and B complex, I rely on a liquid vitamin, noted on my profile page.  Yes, you need to start taking all of these within a couple days of surgery and continue for the rest of your life.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Pam T.
on 3/27/08 5:11 am - Saginaw, MI
I had (or will have) my labs drawn at: 2 weeks 6 weeks 3 months 6 months 9 months 12 months 18 months 24 months and every year after that.  Definitely don't start taking any supplements that your doctor doesn't tell you to take.  Some vitamins can actually be toxic to the body if taken when not needed or in higher doses than recommended based on  your lab results.   For instance, I see many people recommend taking Zinc for hair loss.  But most multi-vitamins already have zinc and if you take more than 40mg per day your body can react in some bad ways like bloody diarrhea,  stomach cramps, vomiting and nausea.   So my point is.... be very very very careful about which advice you take from places like forums or support groups when it comes to serious issues of your health.  Some things are valuable when coming from our peers, but some things need to come from medical professionals.  Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active