Counting Carb grams

susann64
on 3/21/08 9:19 am - just south of cincinnati oh, KY
I am frustrated right now. I was banded on 2-11, have lost 26# since band was placed and am happy with my loss (ecstatic actually). Anyway, my problem is my WLC is temporarily without a nut. The new one starts on the 31rst but.... I have been told minimum of 65 grams of protein. Today I went for me 2nd fill due to continued hunger, and when I asked what my carb intake should be, she couldn't tell me. I am currently keeping fat under 30% of daily intake, carbs (total carbs) at 50 grams or less and protein at a minimum of 65. I need to know what others have been told about carb intake...how many, do you subtract fiber or use total, etc. The NP thinks that my hunger is due to not enough calories, but she said that everything else looks good. How do I increase my calories without increasing everything else.
Sorry this is so long. I don't want to interrupt my wt loss by making changes, but I also don't want to continue to feel hungry indefinately.
HELP>>>PLEASE<

wendy_fou
on 3/21/08 2:28 pm - AR
Everyone's NUT/surgeon will recommend different amounts/limits for various intakes (carbs, calories, etc).   My surgeon did not have a directive regarding carbs.   You asked about what you subtracted out to get your net carbs.   Net carbs = carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols I started out worried to death about carbs.  Then I quit when I realized that skim milk (one of the things recommended on my surgeon's post-op plan) had 11-12 carbs in it (depending on the kind).  Then I quit giving a crap! LOL   I have heard some people say that they were carb sensitive and it stopped their weight loss to ingest too many (or made them gain).  But you won't know if that is you without that happens to you.   A VERY STRICT NET carb limit is 20 - 30.  That is very strict and in my opinion - too few.   I've heard others say that your daily carb intake should be double whatever your protein is.  Who knows.   I just eat healthy and well and worry more about fat % and calories than carbs.   Good luck! 
susann64
on 3/22/08 10:01 am - just south of cincinnati oh, KY
Thanks for the info. Like I said, I am averaging 2 pounds a week (6 weeks post op), so right now, I am happy with my results. I guess I will just keep up what I am doing at least until the new Nut gets into the office. I have an appointment on April 2 and she should be there then. Hopefully she can clue me in to what, if anything is wrong with my current diet. The Nurse Practitioner just sort of p@#$% me off yesterday because we were told to use her a our resource until the new Nut started and when I tried, she couldn't/didn't answer my question. ANYWAY, don't want to get on that tirade again. Thanks again for your info!
Susan

Most Active