YOGURT

butterjoy
on 3/21/08 7:59 am - Elkview, WV

THIS MAY SOUND DUMB TO YOU BUT, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE KROGER LITE FRUIT FLAVORED YOGURT AND KROGER PLAIN YOGURT.  I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHICH KIND THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE SUGAR FREE, FAT FREE YOGURT.  I GET CONFUSED VERY EASY.  THANKS. JOY

* Our family is a circle of love and strength. With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every obstacle faced together makes the circle stronger. The love of a family is life's greatest blessing.   
     I have reached my goal! Praying angel:9896

Dave Chambers
on 3/22/08 12:53 am - Mira Loma, CA
AS a WLS patient, label reading is an important issue you need to know. Read the labels. Check the sugar content, especially if you're prone to dumping. I don't think there is any yogurt that is completely sugar free. If you wear glasses, bring them to the store, as these labels tend to have really amll print. I understand the Dannon Light and Fit is one of the better ones due to smaller size container (4 oz I think), compared to the 6-8 oz size of other brands. Also the Dannon one has less sugars. Even those other brands labelled "light" have a lot of sugar in them. Read the labels, and make sure you pay attention to serving size. Some labels on some foods have the labels rate the food on the basis of one serving size, yet there may be more than one serving size in that container.  Be sure to read labels on any vitamin, iron, or calcium citrate supplements too. My first bottle of calcium citrate said a specific mg amount on the label, so I bought it.  When I got it home and took it for a couple of days, I happened to read the back of the label. To get the amount of calcim citrate listed on the front of the label, you had to TAKE 4 PILLS, and I'd only been taking one. Another lesson in label reading.  Read your labels, and you'll tell the difference in the yogurts

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

prplecat
on 3/24/08 1:59 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
Kroger Lite yogurt is fat free and sweetened with Splenda.  The one that I just pulled out of my fridge has 12 g carbs, whi*****ludes 10 g sugar.  After reading the ingredient list, I think that the sugar may be from the cherries in it, because I couldn't find any other source except for the sucralose (splenda), and I don't know how that shows up nutritionally.  Kroger Lite isn't supposed to have any fat or sugars added, should be pretty safe!  And they have some really great flavors, too.
rbygrl
on 3/25/08 10:08 pm - mays landing, NJ
Fat free, sugar free plain yogurt has about the least amount of sugar. The sugar content is from the milk sugars. If you look up skim milk it contains about 12g carbs. Anything more than that is from fruit or actual sugar. Get the plain, non-fat and add what you want to it so you can control your own sugar intake. i like Greek yogurt since it has 2x the protein. Read those labels and remember all milk products have sugar.

Pam T.
on 3/27/08 6:05 am - Saginaw, MI
If you've got a Kroger .... pick the Carb Master Yogurt. It's also a Kroger brand.  That's what I eat every morning for breakfast.  It's super low in carbs (4g with 3g being sugar from the fruit) and super high in protein (12g).  It's the highest grams of protein I've seen in a yogurt priced at a reasonable price.  The only other option for that much protein is Fage, but it's pretty pricey and you have to mix something with it to make it taste good. Also -- you won't find yogurt that is "sugar-free".  You'll find some that might say "no sugar added" though.  Yogurt is made from milk which has natural sugar in it (lactose) and if you add fruit, you'll have natural sugar there too.   HTH Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active