Burning and tingeling. Am I not getting the right vitamins?

Spongegirl Circleskirt
on 3/19/08 3:49 am - Monterey Park, CA
Hi, It's been awhile since I posted. Over a year. For the last 7 months I get a burning and tingeling sensation throughout my body.  My doctor has tested me for all kids of diseases like RA and Lupus...all my tests are normal. I've seen a neurologist, all my motor activity is fine and I don't have MS. I take all my vitamins and calcium, B-12, Folic Acid, Multivitamin, and my protein. I've been told it was stress and am taking ativan and wellbutrin. When those didn't work, I was put on Lyrica. I think I may be having absorption problems. I am going to finally see my surgeon in April...It was the soonest I could get it. I've been reading about a small percentage of RNY patients having this kind of trouble, and having permanent nerve damage. Am I missing something here? Is there something I should be taking? I am losing my mind over here with the pain.
Spongegirl
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
Help find a cure for Muscular Dystrophy! Give to the MDA!
wendy_fou
on 3/20/08 3:16 pm - AR
Burning/tingling sensations (especially in the extremities) CAN be a sign of certain vitamin deficiency.   I didn't see you mention iron.  Are you taking it?  Do you pair it with vitamin C (assuming it isn't IN your iron - sometimes it is)? Is your B-12 sublingual? Is your calcium citrate?  (Do you pair it with anything like magnesium?) Were your vitamin levels low pre-op?  (75% of the normal population is vitamin deficient, so you may have been deficient going in.) Are there any other symptoms?  (lethargy, aching bones/joints, bruising easily, etc)
Lynn J
on 3/20/08 11:28 pm - LA
Have you had a B-12 and B-1 lab test?  This sounds like a Vit B deficiency.  I keep my B-12 level over 1000.  Good luck!

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
sarard
on 3/21/08 3:37 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
You probably need B1. Usually B1 is included in a B-complex supplement. If you find vitamin B1 on it's own, great, otherwise, look for a B-complex supplement that includes B1. B1 is also called Thiamine. They are the same vitamin, it just has 2 names.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
ozlady1000
on 3/25/08 9:30 am - Davison, MI
Hi Friend,   Be persistant! This is extremely important! I went through this; it was low vitamin B-1 and B-12. WL surgery makes a lot of us unable to absorb some vitamins. I give myself weekly injections of these now. At first it was 3x's a week!! You can get PERMANENT NERVE DAMAGE! Please take this serious; if your Dr won't find someone who will listen. My family Dr was completely out of the loop on this one! Don't miss anything keep going until you get your answers.. Best wishes, Judy R
Most Active