sugar substitutes

MyMichelle
on 3/19/08 4:41 am - Fresno, CA
Hi!  I'm having surgery in less than two weeks, so I'm getting all my ducks in a row now.    My question has to do with sugar substitutes.  Do any of them cause dumping?  And, is there one that is better than the others health-wise?  I'm a Splenda user now, so will I be able to continue using Splenda afterward?

lucky_lady76
on 3/19/08 5:02 am - Texarkana, TX

The only sugar I use is Splenda, I use it in my coffee every morning. Knock on wood, I have not dumped on it yet and I am a little over ten months out. As far as health wise, I haven't gotta a clue. Good luck these next two weeks will pass by fast.

GOD BLESS   Cynthia
Dave Chambers
on 3/19/08 6:48 am - Mira Loma, CA
I posted about Stevia the other day. It's a herb, used as a sugar substitute. Very sweet, only need about 1/3 the amount of sugar or other substitutes.  All natural, probably won't cause dumping with anyone. You can get individual  packets, jars, or liquids (some flavored for coffee).  Just put stevia into a search engine and you'll find lots of info.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MyMichelle
on 3/19/08 7:09 am - Fresno, CA
I heard about Stevia in my Atkins days, but I thought it wasn't approved in the US.  Does it have to be ordered from Canada?

prazzzhim
on 3/19/08 9:40 am - marthasville, MO
I use stevia in all my water. it comes in flavors . You have to get it at a health food store. It comes in a small bottle. And you may think " man $12.00 is alot to pay. But you only need a few drops. So it goes a long way. The bad thing is it is an investment to get flavors stocked up if you prefer different kinds. Or you may not like the flavor you just bought. I haven't tried the orange cream flavor yet because I don't care for orange, but I do like orange creamcicle. I got the rasberry /choc. To me it's like drinking a choc covered cherry. yum. lol. I have tried the english toffee, the vanilla cream,choc rasberry, & the cinnaman. I plan on getting some of the individual packets soon so I can have it on the go. I have never dumped on it. So if you want to mix up you water its all natural. When I'm out I only use Splenda. The other kinds have aspertame & that kinda stuff. I have heard that those things make your brain want more, so I just chose to not use them
spoiledbratt
on 3/19/08 11:07 pm - Brewton, AL
its available at health food stores.. i use splenda wouldn't have it any other way and you can get it at wally world. win-dixie ect.
ECUMindy
on 3/27/08 5:24 am - Winterville, NC
I use Sweet-n-low in my tea all the time and it's never caused dumping. I've also eaten things with splenda and been okay with it... good luck with your surgery!

Melinda
373/334/184/188/175/ - Highest/Surgery/Lowest-PrePregnancy/Current/First Goal

It's a BOY!

Most Active