Ulcers, anyone?!!!

tmjp8657
on 3/19/08 2:31 am - Port Neches, TX
I need a little dietary assistance.  I am approximately 16 mos post op from Lap RNY and am down 118 lbs.  I have not lost any weight in approximately 5 mos.  Since my surgery, I seem to be lactose and egg intolerant.  I can eat small doses of egg in other things, like tuna salad, but not by themselves.   My issue... In April of 2007, I was diagnosed with two large H. pylori ulcers.  They were treated and healed.  This past Friday, followed by 3 wks of stomach upset and a week of intense stomach pain, I found myself admitted into the hospital for emergency scoping and testing.  The result: a non-H. pylori ulcer covering almost the entire inside of my stoma and going down into my duodenum.  The doctor has put me on a new medicine regime and instructed me that he wants to rescope in 6 weeks and biopsy for cancer.  He says this ulcer seems to be NSAID produced (although I take nothing stronger than tylenol and an occassional 1/2 vicodin for back pain).   Now, I just don't know what to eat.  Almost everything I eat seems to cause me discomfort.  I have thought about going back to the basics, but I don't think I remember how.  Any suggestions or dietary recommendations?  All my doc said, was no alcohol, tobacco, caffiene or spicy foods! PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you, Tonette Powers
sarard
on 3/21/08 3:41 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Are you taking any meds like Pepcid or Prevacid? You will likely need an acid blocker. Many RNY people take them from day 1 after surgery as ulcers are not terribly uncommon. As far as foods, the foods your doc listed are good suggestions to prevent pain & irritation, but won't PREVENT ulcers. The meds will do that. Good luck.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
tmjp8657
on 3/23/08 2:44 am - Port Neches, TX
Thank you for the information.  I am currently on Carafate, Cytotec and Nexium.  No one warned me prior to surgery about the high probability of ulcers.  I guess I need to know what to expect going forward.  Will I NEVER again be able to eat spicy foods, have a glass of wine, or drink coffee again?  I knew about the no sugar, no breads, no junk food, no fat, but this was really unexpected. Thanks again, Tonette
sarard
on 3/23/08 2:48 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Well, the ulcers likely will eventually heal. You may have flare ups on occassion. You will want to avoid spicy foods, alcohol & coffee during flare ups, but you can these things IN MODERATION - when your ulcers are healed. Good luck.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active