Rice and beans

Fran W.
on 3/17/08 11:59 pm - Catonsville, MD
What's the (protein) story with rice and beans?  Is it only a complete protein if these are eaten together?  Do refried beans count?  I heard that each only has certain amino acids and that it's only a complete protein if eaten together.  Any truth to this? Thanks!
LizzyL
on 3/18/08 1:40 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
if you eat both rice and beans together  then yes it is a complete protein. Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

Dave Chambers
on 3/18/08 2:21 am - Mira Loma, CA

I had refried beans last night. Try to get the vegetarian type, less fat than other type

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

lisa C.
on 3/18/08 11:33 pm - TX
Ok, maybe someone can tell me what a complete protein is? PLEASE?

LISA C.  

spoiledbratt
on 3/19/08 11:09 pm - Brewton, AL
I thought beans alone did the trick .. i cant eat rice... so enlighten me ona complete protien please.
prplecat
on 3/24/08 2:21 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
I think that proteins are made up of amino acids.  There are several amino acids, but the only foods that have all of them are animal proteins, like meat, eggs, cheese, etc.  If you're a vegetarian, you have to work a little harder to get them all.  Eating a wide range of proteins such as beans/other legumes , soy products, nuts, rice, should give you everything you need.  You don't have to have beans and rice at every meal, just keep a good variety going.  If you're not a vegetarian, you will certainly get complete proteins without even trying!   
Most Active