Post Op

janice2007
on 3/17/08 1:52 am, edited 3/17/08 2:08 am - clarksville, TN
I have my first consultation scheduled for May 8th but I have a question in the mean time :) I have been looking at oh for awhile and would like to know if I am on the right track of mind with this....I think i am ..I just need some more input. I am morbid...43% The diet for the post op Roux-en-Y: or any gastric  is  the ATKINS diet???? Please let me know if you have tried the Atkins diet and how it may differ from what you are doing now.  I just need to see if I am imaging in my mind right... I want to be well informed on what I am doing Ps ...I have been on the atkins before, it has veggies on it not just meats..so thats why im thinking its kind of like the post op way of eating... THanks!
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/08 10:59 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Each surgeon's guidelines are somewhat different, so it's hard to say what your post-op diet will be like.  Mine is similar to South Beach, with an emphasis on healthy/leaner proteins, low-fat dairy, and good carbs (fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc.).  But some surgeons make pretty restrictive carb recommendations because so many WLS patients have carb-related food triggers.  So your post-op diet will really depend on your surgeon's program.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
Dave Chambers
on 3/17/08 11:01 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I had RNY in May, 2006 at 59 years of age. My surgeon said just to make an effort to lose some weight prior to surgery, and NOT to gain any, or surgery would be cancelled. I think I lost som 17 pounds in 3 weeks, and the doctor was happy. I began some exercise, avoided sugary snack foods, ate more fruit and veggies and protein, less carbs.  Not a specific died, just trying to eat healthier.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

cutie3pie5
on 3/18/08 6:40 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Janice, I can remember back when my surgeon told me that two weeks before my surgery I would need to follow the Atkins diet plan, and the only reason was because it would shrink my liver enough for my surgery to go smoothly.   He did request that I lose 15 pounds, I made it to 10 and was terrified he would cancel my surgery, but he didn't. The post-op surgery diet plan is really a high protein diet, this is to help us sustain muscle and keep us satiated.  When losing a rapid amt of weight, protein helps us from losing too much lean muscle mass.  I don't know if I would call the post-op diet the Atkins Plan, it almost follows the South Beach Maintenance plan, but there is no name for it really.  It's a balance of protein, veggies, fruits and liquids (and carbs - but complex carbs and no sugar or high fatty foods).  There are various stages right after surgery: clear liquids, full liquids, pureed/soft foods.  And these stages are cleared by your surgeon after surgery.   I hope this helps. :) ~Shannon
JCDAD
on 3/18/08 9:05 am, edited 3/18/08 9:06 am
RNY on 02/04/08 with
JANICE..MY POST-OP EATING(WHEN ALLOWED)WAS DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS. EAT PROTEIN FIRST.. THEN VEGGIES. LAST CARBS.  I HAVE FOR YEARS BEEN AN ATKINS ADVOCATE. THE POST-OP REGIMINE IS NOT THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE PROTEIN EMPHASIS...GOOD LUCK...JOHN
misty_96940506
on 3/21/08 5:31 am
Hi   I did a diet just like the Atkins to help shrink my liver. This was all according to My Doctor. I did it for 20 days and lost 15 lbs before surgery. It worked..  Good Luck! 
Most Active