protein requirements?

tina123174
on 3/15/08 1:30 pm - Columbus, OH
Hi!  I met with a nutritionist this week for a 1 month follow-up to surgery.  She was not the one I usually go to, just happened to get scheduled with her.  Anyway, we were going over my diet and recent eating and she reminded me about making sure to get enough protein.  Then she said, "You are tall, so you need more protein". I am 6 feet and female, so I am tall...but, I have seen a nutritionist for several months and read extensively on nutrition related to this surgery...and have NEVER heard or read anything about tall people needing more protein.  That just seemed strange to me.  Anyone have any thoughts about that? Thank you!

MelaniaB_RD
on 3/20/08 2:33 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Tina, Its not that tall people need more protein because they are tall, but as Dietitians we base our protein recommendations on weight with tall people usually weighing more than their shorter counterparts.  They in turn have a higher protein need than someone that is 5'3" who likely weighs less.  Make sense?  That is what she likely meant to convey to you but she apparently didn't explain it very well. Hope that helps!  And here's to being tall!!  I love it!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active