WHAT VIT DO I NEED

Darcie W.
on 3/15/08 11:05 pm - sullivan, IN
ok i have saw my surgen (well his nurse and dieation) THEY said i was taking all the wrong iron and mag and cal for a post opp and to stop them so i did and i had labs done they referred me to one of their dad's herbal store and they thought he may lead me down the right path    ????        i decided not to follow up with the dad's shop. so today i saw my own pc dr (eric) had my labs faxed to him and he gave me a b12 shot told me to try shanklee product gave me a # to call about a sales rep close to me and he would do a repeat lab in 30 days????? what the #*%% is that shankleee product?  im so confused here are my bad levels anyone have any advice please 

CBC -  
             HGB  IS 11.7   SHOULD BE 12.0-16.0
             MCH  IS 25.6   SHOULD BE 26-32
             RDW IS 16.8   SHOULD BE 11.5-14.0

MAGNESIUM              IS 1.6 SHOULD BE 1.8-2.4 

CALCIUM, IONIZED
FERRITIN                      IS 6   SHOULD BE 10- 291

UIBC                                IS 381      SHOULD BE   150- 375
IRON SAT                        IS 12        SHOULD BE   15-55

I WAS TAKEING (nov-dec)
800 MG OF MAGNESIUM WITH CHELATED ZINC A NIGHT AT BED TIME
1260 MG CALCIUM CITRACAL AT BEDTIME
1 A TO ZINC CENTRUM EVERY MORNING
1 325 MG FERROUS SULF (65 MG ELEMENTAL IRON) 3 TIMES A DAY

THE DR UPPED ME TO (jan-feb)
1200 MG OF THE MAG 
IRON 5 TIMES A DAY
2-3 STOOL SOFTENERS  A DAY WITH 4-5 GAS X (THAT DID NOT HELP AT ALL) 
BUT NOW I TAKE NOTHING

SO DO YOU SEE WHY IM SO CRAZY WHAT THE *#%% IS THE RIGHT THING I SHOULD BE TAKEING & DOING HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Dave Chambers
on 3/16/08 1:20 am - Mira Loma, CA
IF  your doctors say your'e anemic, then take iron supplements.  You'll need 1500-2000 mg of calcium citrate per day. Your body can only properly absorb about 500-600 mg of calcium at a time, so bread the total dosage into 3-4 doses during the day. DO NOT take your calcium and iron at the same time, as they work against one another.  Take a good multivitiamin.  I looked at the supplemental facts on several brands of pills, chewables, and liquids. From what I learned on Internet research, liquids are probably the best for RNY patients, as they go to work in the body in a few minutes, instead of taking a hour or longer to get digested. I found one that was affordble, very high in B vitamins, had muliple RDA doses of other vitamins, high antioxidant values and other health fomulas included.  Go to my profile page, check the link on this liquid vitamin, and print the supplement page. Compare the supplements. That's the only way you'll know what vitamin product will supply is probably the best for you.  From you post: seems like a lot of magnesium in one dose, way too much calcium citrate in one daose, you need more general vitamins, but it appears your'e taking iron. Remember, no iron and calcium citrate taken together.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/08 1:37 am
Hi Darcie,  Because WLS is becoming so hugely popular, it seems that everyone is trying to "get on the bandwagon" and trying to sell a bariatric vitamin in some form....Ignore them!  Go to your local vitamin suppplement store, (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe etc...) or even a Trader Joes or a health food store and shop, shop, shop!!! Learn as much as you can about nutrition and vitamins.  Go on-line and research about various supplements and what they do for your body. Buy a few books on the subject and get proactive on your own health. The information is out there, all you have to do is the research. I knew nothing before my surgery and all that I have learned is on my own. Basically from all the reading I have done, on-line and books, and what I learned from work. The store I work at, they train their people in vitamin supplementation. It has become my passion..... I figure I've gotten a second chance at a healthy life with no diabetes knocking at my door, so I'm NOT gonna blow this one last chance I've been given. If I would have relied on my doc, I would have learned nothing. Zero. Brillant surgeon, lousy aftercare...Seems to be a typical story, with everyone.....Be your own best advocate!  Having said that....I will share with you what I take and why.  Multiple- My multiple is a chewable from Trader Joes. It's cheap and high potency. It's called High Potency Adult Chewables, one in the moring, one at late afternoon. Good quality, low price. About $5.99 a bottle. Compare the ingredients, it's the same as Optisource, which is $27.99 a bottle!  Calicium- This is very important! Take Calicium CITRATE, not carbonate. We do NOT absorb anything but, calicium citrate. Buy the best quality calicium you can, do not scrimp on this one, too important! I take 1500mg's a day. I spread it out, throughout the day. Leave a 2 hour window, in between your iron and your calicium. They cancel each other out and you won't absorb either one, if taken together.   Iron- also very important to me, as I am anemic. My ferritin level was a 9 and it's gone from that to above 60 in three months, on a really great iron I discovered. DO NOT take ferrous anything.....ferrous sulfate, etc.....I take a "heme", which is made from meat, tissue, blood etc. This is iron in it's natural state and is the ONLY one, I have ever absorbed. The ferrous type of irons, are "non-heme" (made from plants) and we don't absorb them. (again, a nutritional subject that most doc's don't get...or even seem to want to learn about...) The one I take is called Hematinic Iron made by Solgar. You can buy it at any Vitamin Shoppe or on-line at their web-site. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com. Great stuff! Great quality! Also critical and again, don't skimp on this one...  Vitamin D- DRY Vitamin D only. We don't absorb any oil based vitamins at all, so make sure you look for a dry version of this one, as well as a dry version of A or E, if you supplement with either one of those. A dry form will be the only type you will absorb.  B Vitamins- I take a B-Complex 100, twice a day. It covers all your B's (we need B-1 especially) and I also take a B-12 sublinqual every day. Very important!!  All of the others are "extra's" that I take because I'm a health and nutrition nut, but are not specifically required, by my doctors office. They include Omega 3, 6, 9, glucosimine chrondrotin msm and greens to name a few... Just be pro-active in all of this and learn as much as you can. It's a lot to learn all at once, I know, but just keep at it, and it all falls into place after awhile. If you ever need help, with all of this, just shoot me an email! I'll be glad to help! Have a great Sunday!!  
Tex Girl .
on 3/16/08 3:30 am - TX
Try www.Bariactricadvantage.com .  They have vitamins for the RYN or Lap Band and it is just what we need.  Iron w/folic acid, Calcium Citrate, B-12 Sublingual, and I get One Multi-Vitamin A, D,E,  and K.  They taste great and it cost about $100 for 3 month supply. 
Dave Chambers
on 3/16/08 6:30 am - Mira Loma, CA
I took slight offense to one post on this topic. Just the title of a web site has something to do with bariatric surgery, it's not OK??  Most of the major sites have bariatric in their title somewhere.  It's just a part of a name so you find bariatric surgery information, bariatric product informaiton, bariatric forums for discussions, etc. easier on search engines.  The main point of my post was to COMPARE LABELS. The product I referred to had more nutrients than othets mentions. I learned this by comparing labels. Whatever product you choose, compare the labels to make sure you're getting the nutrients you want.  The product I use was initally designed from general liquid vitamin usage. But it was refomulated last May, and the new formulation had many facets I thougth were ideally suited to WLS patients. My surgeon, my insurance company nutrition instructors, and many others agreed.  I tried this product for several months, and then decided to go further.  You still have control over your decisions.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

CookieDawg
on 3/26/08 4:42 am - Near Houston, TX
Shaklee is a product line that has been around for a while. My aunt sells them (and has for as long as I can remember) Some of the products are good but others are not. Now, I have never seen my aunt look healthy. There is always something wrong with her (whether it is real or imagined). Shaklee was NOT designed for RNY'ers, I suggest baratriceating.com

Darcie W.
on 3/27/08 11:50 am - sullivan, IN
THANKS I WENT AND BOGHT SHAKLEE AND I HATE IT IT TASTE AWFULL I JUST WISH I COULD GET MY SURGEN TO GIVE ME A LIST OF VIT HE WANTS ME TO TAKE I HATE THIS NOT KNOWING CRAP
Most Active