Protein Shakes-need nutrionist input please

Meghan R.
on 3/13/08 4:20 am - Tinley Park, IL
Hello everyone, I am getting back to protein shakes again. I am about 2 years out-1 month shy right now. I got down to 160 (help of leaving ex and not eating) and then ballooned up to 186, and now am at 174. I am going to do the 5 day pouch test starting tomorrow, if I can get the needed items tonight, if not then on Saturday. My question is that I have found that I absolutely hate the RTD shakes I was consuming immediately after surgery. However, I love a protein shake I get at the gym. It contains two scoops of Whey Protein powder, fat free frozen yogurt, and then I opt for strawberries and bananas added to this, and then it's blended.  Does anyone if it would be ok to do this for the 5dpt?  My goal weight is 165-I would love to be at 150 even, but I think I may get a little too sickly looking if I go there. So possibly 155.  And also, does anyone know where I can find a good fat free/low sugar/low carb frozen yogurt? (names, brands?) and is it okay to add the protein into the frozen stuff? And do you recommend an unflavored protein or vanilla powder? Thanks for everyone's input.  I sincerely appreciate it.
MelaniaB_RD
on 3/13/08 2:44 pm, edited 3/13/08 2:44 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
  Please look at the detailed link below that was posted awhile ago that discusses the 5 day pouch test.  Additionally, to answer your other questions, the protein shake that you get at the gym sounds like a good choice but not sure how it fits into this particular fad diet regimen.   In terms of adding protein powder into the frozen yogurt, I've never had anyone do this before; protein powders are usually best blended with a liquid versus a frozen product.  Good luck!  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/a,messageboard/action,replies/board_id,5389/cat_id,4989/topic_id,3433521/
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Robin W.
on 3/13/08 9:56 pm - Franklin, OH
The link doesn't work. What's bad about the 5 day pouch thing?????? Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

jenfar123
on 3/15/08 2:19 am
The protein powder sounds good,but fat free frozen yogurt doesn't mean it is sugar free and that is what you need to avoid.  Also  by adding strawberries and bananas you are adding lots of sugar/carbs.  Combinded- those 2 items defeat the 5 day pouch test, and will make you feel hungrier with more carb cravings. Stick to the protein only.  Try GNC nutrition. They have lots of different protein shakes you can buy a variety to see what you like best. Good luck.
Meghan R.
on 3/17/08 12:45 am - Tinley Park, IL
Thank you all for your responses. I did stick to plain protein shakes since Sunday, and am doing good so far. I think I am going to go as long as possible on the protein shakes only, seeing as I am feeling more energy, lighter, and just in general more focused on my progress again. I did not add the yogurt nor fruit because it is carbs-so thank you for that advice as well. In the future, I might do those types of shakes, but for now to complete this test, I will stick the regular shakes. I prefer the Vitamin Shoppe to GNC, as the stores near me have little to no selection of protein shakes. I tried the Designer Whey French Vanilla, and think that is great, as well as Jay Robb's Strawberry Egg White Protein shakes, which are good as well. I was pleasantly surprised. Once again, I just want to say thank you for all of your help.
michelle O.
on 3/18/08 12:58 am - Tampa, FL
I just read your post.  I always make my shakes with egg whites. You can find them at your grocery store where the egg beaters are they are called "All whites" they are pasturized so you don't get sick. Personally I think egg whites make shakes creamier then milk and they are the leanest protein your going to get.  I use a vanilla protein powder that way my sake is a blank slate. I also cut up and freeze bananas. I use 1/2  a frozen banana in my shake to thicken it and of course get the benefits that fruit offers. Best of luck! Michelle
Meghan R.
on 3/18/08 2:25 am - Tinley Park, IL
Thank you for those wonderful suggestions on egg whites. I just used the protein powder made from egg whites (I guess?), but, I will start to add the product you mentioned, because I do love the creamier, thicker shakes as it feels more filling to my pouch. And the frozen banana sounds like just what I was looking for! Do you happen to know how many carbs that would be, when adding the half of banana? I am sure it gives us potassium, because I know I need that as well. Once again, thank you!! I am on day 3 of liquid protein shakes, and water and coffee. I am not switching to the soft protein yet as I want to lose some weight before integrating in the other foods. I am doing surprisingly well, I guess I must be in the right stage of my life to do this, finally! My head is on right.
Most Active