Protein suggestions??

Christine C.
on 3/11/08 1:58 am - Port Deposit, MD
I am almost 11 weeks out from surgery and still struggling with my water and protein.  My water I know is my issue and am working on that ... but the protein is another story  lol   I absolutey cannot stand the taste (or smell) of the protein powders or liquids.  I do not want to cause any damage to my body so I am looking for suggestions in ways to get my protein in through my food.  Just to throw another wrench into this ... I am a very picky eater.  We try to eat fish or chicken for dinner because I know its high protein ... what other suggestions do you have?? As far as the protein supplements go ... here is what I have tried so far ...  Nectar, Any Whey, Unjury, APC, ProStat and Proteinex.
Christine

Laura M.
on 3/11/08 2:15 am - St. Bonifacius, MN
I like the Slim Fast Low carb drinks, they have 20g of protein. I have a hard time finding them in a store around here so I order them on-line. I also like the "Twisted" bars from Target (or on-line) they have 15g of protein, and they taste very good. There are some South Beach meal replacement bars out there that have 19g of protein. 
Nancy H.
on 3/11/08 5:04 am - CA
I love Muscle Milk Light by my favorite is Starbucks skinny, decaf vanilla lattes. I just wrote about them under 'bullets' above. See it for more info. Then head for Starbucks! nancy

Dave Chambers
on 3/12/08 2:37 am - Mira Loma, CA
You can get protein with some snack foods as well. A relatively unknown snack is dried peas. if you go to: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=56 you'll see a complete listing of data on these. 1/4 cup = 6 grams of protein. Cost?  $1.35 per pound. Crunchy like peanuts, fiber and a green veggie, no refrigeration needed, put in snack bags to take with you anywhere, and abut 4 pounds fills a gallon jar.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

BrendaEien
on 3/13/08 2:51 am - Cypress, CA
Edamame beans are awesome! 9g of protien in 1/2 cup! I love em!!!
I am a proud 6'2 Beautiful woman! Weight-loss below as of 1/7/08 (Pre-op)

Lynn J
on 3/13/08 11:20 am - LA
I love Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Cookies & cream.  I put 1 and 1/2 scoops of protein with 5 oz of water and 4 ice cubes.  I add either SF syrup or one teaspoon of dry SF Jellow pudding mix.  Then I blend in my Bullet.  I still drink 3 a day.

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
Bronwen
on 3/13/08 1:07 pm - Wilmington, DE
I only had protein drinks for the first month or so after surgery, and even then it was only sporadically.  I, too, couldn't stand the smell of most of them - especially the Nectar ones! - like rotten eggs! The only one I could manage was by Health Wise, and it was a Protein Cocoa that I made with Milk.  They also have a Cappuccino that isn't half bad when made with milk - 25 g of protein when you make it with milk.  I have a couple of boxes of it left (it comes in single-serving packets) - hope it doesn't go bad! Dairy products are excellent sources of protein.  Eggs, cheese, milk - fantastic!  Tofu isn't too bad, either, if you're into that.  Nuts are one of my favorite protein sources.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

JustaSouthernGirl76
on 3/15/08 1:30 am - VA
I  had the same problem COULD not tolerate any of the protein shakes or drinks BUT two that worked for me are the AchievOne(sp?) and Isopure (chocolate flavor is my fav and I mix it with milk). I always mix my shakes with milk because there is no way in Heck I could get it down with water...ick a roo... Good Luck with your protein and CONGRATULATIONS on your new journey!! Jamie
Never Give Up!
Melissa D.
on 3/21/08 4:03 am - West Burlington, IA
Unjury brand protien suppliments are awesome.  I LOVE the Chicken Soup flavor!! 

Mel

Most Active