Why do I stall when I exercise?

Kimberly928
on 3/10/08 2:48 am
I am 3 months out and have had a very easy time and have lost quite a bit of weight.  I'm down almost 60lbs.  I am very careful to follow all my post-op instructions, one of which is to exercise.  However, if I exercise, I stop losing and it may take 3 or 4 days to get back into the losing mode once I cut the exercise.   I do keep track of my calories and average around 800 per day focusing maininly on proteins and take in about 60g of protein perday.  The things I have been doing for exercise tend to be high intensity, so I do tend to burn alot of calories.  I'm thinking that I'm forcing my body into starvation mode??  Should I up my calories a bit?  I don't want to increase my portion size past 1/4c which is my surgeon's advice. How can I even this out?  I really enjoy the high intensity for cardio and it also doesn't take as long.  I really need to be toning up and building some muscle. Thanks!
cutie3pie5
on 3/10/08 11:34 am - Lexington, SC
Hi Kimberly, I do wish I had the perfect answer for you, but I can tell you that I went through this as well in my journey.  I am a big advocate of exercise and was when I first had surgery.  I started exercising 3 weeks out of my surgery and didn't look back after that.  There were some very tough times when the weight loss stopped but I knew that my body had a reason for it.  After several weeks of stalling, I spoke to my dietician and found out that I wasn't getting in enough calories to sustain my level of exercise, so she suggested some adjustments that I made and the weight started coming back off.  So there is definitely hope. :) :) Can you work with your dietician to get an adjusted plan, maybe to include a pre-workout snack so your body doesn't believe that it's starving itself?  This was one suggestion my dietician made and has helped. I wish you luck on your journey, you are doing a FANTASTIC job!  Don't stop the exercise, it's SUPER important and will truly pay off down the road. :) :) ~Shannon
Most Active