NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCY FOR RNYers INEVITABLE?

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/08 2:18 pm - NJ

Does everyone with RNY eventually develop some sort of nutritional deficiency? I fear that because I am so young [just turned 20] that if I do have this procedure, I will one day have a nutritional deficiency, possibly multiple or major ones. If a person takes their vitamins and protein intake religiously and has their blood work annually, is the possibility of developing a deficiency still there?

Amy_in_MA
on 3/8/08 2:32 am - Danvers, MA
This was my greatest concern regarding surgery. I asked my surgeon the same question...can I avoid nutritional deficiency and the resulting health issues if I do everything I am suppose to do? He assured me that yes, I could avoid them completely. Ask your surgeon.

sarard
on 3/9/08 3:13 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I agree. You can avoid them. You have to work at it, but it's possible. :)
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Bronwen
on 3/11/08 12:20 am - Wilmington, DE
I have the DS, a far more malabsorptive surgery than the RNY.  Vitamin deficiencies are best avoided through regular and meticulous bloodwork - at least once yearly, preferably every 6 months - and rigorous vitamin supplementation.  Working closely with your PCP and nutritionist, you should be able to pinpoint any deficiencies you may develop and tweak your vitamins to compensate. So, yes, vitamin deficiencies can be avoided.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Most Active