Hair Loss

jamlanae
on 3/7/08 5:17 am - GA
I just started adding more protein to my diet via protein drinks such as Isopure and Profect because I'm experiencing extreme hair breakage and thinning.  I have been fortunate I guess because I'm 2 years post op and have not had a problem and now all of a sudden, I feel as if I will be bald soon. I admit to being lax in the amount of protein I consumed.  I thought I was getting enough in with my food choices but I guess not so it's finally catching up to me.   Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!
lisa H.
on 3/7/08 9:17 am - lockport, NY
I still do.I take 5000 biotin a day to keep the hair on my head.Its still thin.I lost quite a bit of mine 3 months post op.I didnt take anything beforehand because I thought I escaped it.Wrong.I can say the biotin works.I am in a situation I cant afford supplements and alot of protein needs and old bad habits and attitudes took over and still fight today.Mine is self inflicted to a point.But you are not alone.I would suggest keep up with the ispoure and get biotin.It does work.I did take isopure after it first started and it finally did help and did stop once i was taking biotin and ispopure at the same time.
jamlanae
on 3/7/08 8:54 pm - GA
Thanks for your response!  What is Biotin?  I haven't heard of that.  Do you get it at a health food store?  Is it a powder or drink?  Im assuming 5000 mg per day is what you take? The protein is so expensive.  I like you struggle with the bad habits of my protein/nutrient needs.  It's not a good feeling when you start to lose the hair on your head.  I was thinking if this continues I will need a full hair weave.  haha! Thanks again for your feedback.  I will look into more info on Biotin.     
lisa H.
on 3/8/08 12:22 am, edited 3/8/08 12:25 am - lockport, NY
Biotin in a vitamin.They do have shampoos with biotin IN it but I never tried those for the simple fact in my thinking you are losing your hair because of an internal vitamin problem.Putting shampoo on your head that might have it in it to strengthen it wont help what is causing it.Plus if it did work like that,to apply it,you are strengthening thinning hair in my thinking.Go with pills!.If you ever saw hair,skin,nails vitamins in stores,that is the main hair ingredient.They have strengths that range up to 5000 mcg.That is the highest you can get.Most pills in walmart say have 1000.I always used the high dose.The nutritionist said the high dosage wont hurt and your body eliminates what it doesnt use.Here is a link to where I get them. You can get them in pharmacies but mostly they have 1000 or less.To get the 5000 ones you either have to go to a vitamin store,or get lucky.I did find that Walmart does carry the 5000,they must have just started.This is the company I get them.They arent that expensive,and considering they are the only thing keeping hair on my head its worth it.At this particular store,once a month they have member days.Signing up is free.Once a month on certain days they offer buy one get one free of the vitamin world brand.I get 2 bottles and each bottle has 120 pills.So I get 4 months worth at a time.They are usually around $12 a bottle.So on those days you can get 4 months for 12.But even if you dont get the buy one get one they arent terribly expensive.But if you are that bald I would get the 5000.You can always go down in dosage later,but if you take the lesser and it doesnt work or work fast enough you might not keep taking them.THEY DO WORK.They did for me and still do. OH.I do have to laugh.I had no idea how expensive life would be after surgery.I never thought about it.In this world,America at least you can get a burger at mcdonalds for 1.00.You cant eat the healthy way you are supposed to for that.It is cheaper to eat junk and candy than good food and vegetables.The protein is expensive but worth it.I get the Advant Edge carb control protein shakes at walmart.Its around 5.00 for 4 and you get 17 grams of protein for only 110 calories.The vitamins kill me.I am on disability and simply have no money left after bills for much in that way besides my biotin.I guess my vanity wins out,that is where my priority is when it comes to having x to spend.Wrong but.. http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/file.asp?xs=58EAF11B3F7F4F1F90AF42AE0117CBB4&PID=137&CID=&CPID=199
JustaSouthernGirl76
on 3/8/08 7:44 am - VA
Unfortunately this happen to me and I just decided to get my hair cut short..in a bob. I finally had to give in and get used to the fact that my hair would never be as full and thick as before surgery. I did try biotin but it didn't work for me. I also use Isopure that is the only protein I like. I am almost 3 yrs post op and it's starting to come back but it's thin like baby fine hair and hard to style. (that's why the bob works so well for me). I don't keep up with my protein now like I should but I do take a multitude of vitamins and supplements... At one point my hair loss was so bad that my bangs and the sides of my hair were nothing but sprigs...NOT FUN!! I was able to hide some of it with different "do's" but people could tell it was thinning. Some people say they never experience hair loss and most who do report hair coming back in after a year or so..my nutritionist said it's just going to take time for your body to catch up with your weight loss and all these crazy side effects are just part of it...wait til the funny smells start..oh what fun.. However given all this I wouldn't trade my weight loss for the world...all these side effects eventually work themselves out and really we just have to be patient and it's not easy. I started a thread not long ago desperate for help on the new "smells" and I'm learing it's trial and error with products and just plain old fashioned patience and time. GOOD LUCK and I hope some of this helps... Hugs, Jamie
Never Give Up!
lisa H.
on 3/8/08 8:54 am, edited 3/8/08 8:57 am - lockport, NY
The last poster made me think to add something.I have heard those who it didnt work for.I think it did for me because what I take is the most you can take.I had thin hair to begin with.When it fell out you could see my scalp all over the place and it was brittle.This did keep it on my head.If you take it your hair will not suddenly become wonderful.It is still baby fine,grows fast and is now curly.You can no longer see my scalp but I have long hair and if i roll it into a bun in the back its about and inch across.The only thing I think the biotin does is help the brittleness and it DID stop it from falling out on me.Once it happens there isnt much you can do,and it is one of those things you have to learn to live with but I wouldnt trade the weight loss either.I can live with this..Some it comes back even without like before,but most not.I had a very hard time with my vanity and I was never vain about anything I think.At the time I was so sick all the time that this was the last straw.But it is not immediate fix.I didnt notice any difference for a month,but since then it does not fall out,but does not come in thicker either.Just grows fast.But in my way of thinking taking or doing nothing will change nothing,trying something might work and might not but at least you tried.No matter what I have noticed in all the people I talked to,and met in group,eventually it does slow no matter what even if you take nothing.The further out you go and more you  are able to eat and different things you can tolerate eventually it will help.Right now its bad because it takes about a year before you can eat a fairly normal sized portion and sometimes not even by then.Let me know if you try and how it works.I would say from those I talked to it works 75% of the time to slow or stop it.But Biotin does not help everyone.I have tried things others recommended for other weight loss things that didnt work for me at all.
MaryTeresa
on 3/11/08 12:42 pm - Loveland, OH
Yes I have and it got better once I started mixing Milk with my protien Drinks and trying things like low-fat turkey chili to increase the protien.
Most Active