Need opinion from nutritionist

Nicole T.
on 3/4/08 5:43 am
hi, yesterday i only drank water because i hurt my pouch the day before but today i had a protein drink which is made from whey protein and had lactaid milk in it. 3 hours later i had diahrea really bad. could the whey cause that type of reaction. i am gluten intolerant and sensitive to soy so maybe i am also sensitive to whey? or could the milk do it even though it's lactose free? i've never had problems with milk before even when i was drinking regular milk. thanks for your help.
MelaniaB_RD
on 3/4/08 1:19 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Nicole, I'm not sure how you "hurt" your pouch but it sounds like you were trying to slowly start eating/drinking again. If you have had the whey protein drink mixed with lactose-free milk in the past without problems, it is unlikely that you are sensitive to whey and even less likely that you are sensitive to the lactose-free milk especially if you could tolerate regular milk without problems.   You might also want to call your surgeon to let him/her know that something is not right with your pouch.  In my opionion, it's better to be safe than sorry.   I hope that you feel better soon. 
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active