am i eating to much?

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/08 10:43 am - Johnston, RI
I am almost 4 weeks post op and i am on ground foods right now.  But following the list i have it seems like im eating too much, does this sound right.  For dinner i just had 3oz ground turkey, 1/4 cup whipped potatoe, and 1/2 cup of pears from the can no sugar added.  usually its 1/4 cup of fruit and 1/4 cup of veggies but tonight i want fruit.  They told me 1 cup of food is what i should be eating which is what i am.  I can never finish the fruit or veggies or potatoe but i get all of the protien.  What do you think???  Also when measuring chicken, turkey,etc. is it on a food scale or in measuring cup???
MelaniaB_RD
on 3/3/08 12:19 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Sounds like you are progressing well without any complications.  We usually tell people to eat no more than 1/2 cup (4 oz) at this point, but if your surgeon has instructed you to eat 1 cup, then that's what I would do.  However, it sounds like you are actually eating about 1/2 cup as you are full after that. I would continue trying to eat your protein FIRST and then whatever you have a taste for at that meal (fruit, veggies or potatoes).  In terms of measuring it's a 50/50 split between my patients, as some prefer to use a scale to weigh their protein source, while others use a measuring cup.  In terms of the fruits, veggies or potatoes, I would use a measuring cup.  Hope that helps!!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active