Guidelines needed

CT
on 3/2/08 1:47 pm - Roy, UT
Hi all, I had open RNY almost 5 yrs ago and  lost 105 lbs in the first 8 months.  I was only 15 lbs from goal.......... now I have regained 37 lbs.   It took away new found self esteem and that hurt.   Recently I stopped taking ALL my medicines for different conditions.  I know that wasn't smart; but it got to where I was gagging so bad that I would throw up.  That was just thinking about taking the pills.  I took 4 anti-depressants,  ( 1 Lexapro, 2 Wellbutrin and 1 Lamictal, a mood stabilizer) blood pressure, pain meds, overactive bladder meds, just a whole bunch.  A week ago I saw my Dr. and he told me that I may have done myself a favour taking myself off them.  I am so much more in touch with reality, and my feelings in general.  I was neither happy or sad, just numb.  Now I am feeling different emotions again, which makes me cry.  I feel 'normal' again being able to experience emotions and that's what makes me cry. I really haven't been taking care of myself at all this past 2 years; but now I am feeling so much better, I'm ready to. My plan is: 1.   Monitor and record my food intake 2.   Try to get in at least 46 oz water each day.  Not perfect; but it will be an improvement. 3.   Have 2 protein shakes per day.  I personally, do see a difference in energy level and feel so much less tired while drinking them 4.   Take my vitamin supps 5.    Eat more fruit and veggies, and maybe more of the complex carbs for more energy.  More lean meat and a lot less red meat. 6.   Start walking tomorrow and work up to 30 mins walking  plus strength training. Problems: How much protein should I have a day How many carb grams.   I find if I eat more than 30 gr a day I will gain weight.  Will the protein shakes help give the needed energy? I really need a meal plan that I can refer to and plan for each week. Three months out of surgery my husband I moved, so there was no contact with my surgeon. I fell I missed out on a lot of support and learning during that first year.  There was no support group where we moved to.  Now we live in Northern Utah, and there is no support group here, except in Salt Lake City, and that is at an impossible hour (BSCI meets at something like 5:30 pm. I believe)  An impossible hour or not, maybe I should make it a priority to be there. Any help with the above listed problems would be so appreciated.  I feel so alone in all this and very overwhelmed. Thanks so much CT

cutie3pie5
on 3/3/08 3:01 am - Lexington, SC
Hello CT, Welcome!!!  Firstly, a BIG congrats on your weight loss journey!  I commend you for your strength, even through tough times.  It's a big step to come and ask for help (I know I had to learn to do it myself). I think your plan of action is perfect, and it's very motivating!!   I am not a dietician or nutritionist but I can share my personal experiences with you to maybe give you a helping hand. :) For protein intake, my dietician and surgeon recommend 60-80 grams of protein a day.  Some people are told more, and some do less.  But from what I have read throughout the years, 60-80 is about the average.  (You might see people who have 100 grams of protein per day, but I can't do that without major potty problems.) Carbs - this is a sensitive issue among many grads because we are all instructed differently.  Some people are told 20-40 carbs a day, some are 60 max and some are 80-100 carbs a day. I am pretty active and am a big advocate of exercise and need a higher complex carb amount (per my plan from my dietician).  But find your balance,  if you find that less than 30 works for you, that's great, if you need to up it to maintain energy, complex carbs are the way to go.  I do believe the good carbs are important, especially when exercising, they help maintain energy that helps burn fat while exercising.  Protein shakes are very important, they are added protein our body needs, and can be taken in easily.  Some protein shakes have sugar in them, so be careful to read the labels for added sugars.   As far as a meal plan, a balance of protein, veggies and fruit in a meal is what is recommended for me.  I am allowed several healthy snacks and pre-workout meals.  And I adjust as needed. I stay at about 1700 calories a day (that does include moderate exercise).  I will drop that down on the weeks/days that I don't exercise as much. I hope this helps give you an idea of a post-op plan.  But please do consult with a professional if you can to find your balance. :) GOOD LUCK!!! ~Shannon
CT
on 3/5/08 2:32 pm - Roy, UT
Thanks Shannon,  I appreciate your help. I am going to an appt. tomorrow with a dietician.   From what you said, I am going to try 30-40 gr carbs, 60 gr protein and adjust from there, and 1000 cals. I walk but I am almost 60 yrs old and my knees are not to great.  So 15 mins 2 2 times a day is all I can do, I have a problem with fruit, too.  ALL fruit makes me hungry within an hour of eating, whether or not I eat it as part of the meal.  Maybe the dietician will have some ideas on how to handle that.  Hope so. Thanks again   CT

Most Active