daily schedule for vits

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/08 12:05 am
Hi.  Was wondering if a dietician could give me a schedule of sorts to take my vits.  I'm one year out and am still struggling with this.  It confuses me that you can't take your multi with your calcium and then wait so many hours before you take your iron!  Could you give me an hourly schedule?  I take the Bariatric brand of multi and it says two per day are recommended.  Does that mean I need to take 4?  I was thinking because of my RNY that I had to double everything, but since these are from Bariatric, maybe not.  Hope I don't sound too dumb! Thanks! Sherry
Amy_in_MA
on 3/1/08 11:17 pm, edited 3/1/08 11:18 pm - Danvers, MA
I'm not a dietician, but I am a post-op person who is very compliant with my supplements. My schedule is as follows: Before breakfast, around 6:30 a.m.: One chewable multivitamin (I take Centrum Silver, I can't do ones that have to be swallowed whole, they get stuck in my stoma) along with my iron (325 mg Ferrous Sulfate) and vitamin C (500 mg chewable) At noon (usually with my lunch): Either a Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenge or UpCalD dose At 6 p.m. (usually with my dinner): Another Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrage Lozenge or UpCalD dose Before bed, typically at 9:30 or 10 p.m. (when I'm having my last snack of the day): Another Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrage Lozenge or UpCalD dose Take your vitamin C with your iron for better absorption, and don't take iron and calcium together as they tend to interfere with the absorption of each other.

Dave Chambers
on 3/2/08 2:57 am - Mira Loma, CA
You'll need a minimum of twice the RDA of adult vitamins and minerals.  Do not take your calcium citrate (only form of calcium WLS patients should take) and any iron supplement at the same time.  Of your vitmamin has a large iron amount in it, take that an hour apart from your calcium.  I use a liquid vitamin (one ounce per day) for my vitamins (mentioned on profile page) that I find far more convenient that several large pills daily.

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/08 3:16 am
Thanks, Dave.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  You look great!  I'm going to try your dried peas snack! Sherry
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/08 2:57 am
Thank you, Amy.  I thought you couldn't take iron with anything.  So, I'll make it a habit now to take it with my multi.   Thanks! Sherry
Most Active