10 weeks out of RNY, calorie count?

Laurie C.
on 2/25/08 7:19 am - Wilmington, NC
Hello! I am 10 weeks out from RNY and just curious what the average caloric intake is for 10 weeks...? I think I'm around 500 daily right now.... Is that way off?  Also, What is all this I hear about stay away from Carbs? My weightloss hasn't stalled any and I still eat carbs in veggies, sweet potatoes, some pastas, oatmeal, and other things. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat bread, much pasta, or other hightcarb foods but, I don't think it is a good idea to stay away from carbs too much! I think that sets us up for "diet mode" all over again!

Thanks!!!

Laurie
wendy_fou
on 2/25/08 7:23 am - AR
I'm no NUT/RD.  But I was at about 500 -600 calories until my 3 month post-op visit with my surgeon when he increased it to 700 calories per day to have me add veggies.   I used to worry about my carbs when I was immediately pre-op.  I don't know.  I do still track my net carbs in case they start to get out of hand.  But for the most part, the only carbs I avoid are simple carbs. 
MelaniaB_RD
on 2/25/08 12:09 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Laurie, I have seen caloric intakes vary from 500-800 calories per day post-op.  The most important considerations are how you feel with that caloric level and is your weight loss progressing?   In terms of carbs, please ignore that myth!  Yes, right now the most important thing to eat first is your protein, but veggies, small amounts of sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta & oatmeal ARE great.  You are wise to NOT to  jump on the 'carb is a bad word' bandwagon.  It most definitely will set you up into "diet mode" again.  Simple carbohydrates are the group that we as RD's recommend most people limit in their diets and replace with their whole wheat/ whole grain counterpart. That's my two cents!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active