EATING RIGHT AND BEING DISABLED

SHARON P.
on 2/21/08 9:18 am - ASHLAND CITY, TN
HI, I AM WRITING ABOUT EATING AND NOT BEING ABLE TO EXERCISE. THEY KEEP SAYING TO EXERCISE BUT MY WHOLE SPINE IS EAT UP WITH OSTERARTHRITIS AND I GET SHOTS IN IT AND IT'S VERY PAINFULL. I AM A CHRONIC PAIN PATIENT. I ALSO HAD A KNEE REPLACEMENT AND IT DON'T WORK TO GOOD AND THEY WANT TO DO THE OTHER ONE BUT I'M WAITING AS LONG AS I CAN. ALSO HAVE IT IN MY HIPS. I DO EXERCISE SOME BUT NOT A WHOLE LOT BUT I EAT RIGHT MOSTLY BUT I JUST CAN'T EAT MEAT HARDLY AT ALL AND I AM 6 MONTHS POST OP. I JUST KEEP TRYING TO EAT DIFFERENT THINGS. I HAVE LOST AROUND 40 POUNDS BUT I AM LOSING SLOW. I'M OVER THE TRASH CAN A LOT SLIMING OR PB-ING. IT JUST FEELS LIKE IT'S STUCK IN MY CHEST AND I WILL DO IT FOR AN HOUR OR SO. ANY IDEA WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG WITH ME OR WHAT I MAY BE DOING WRONG. I CAN EAT YOGURT, BROCCOLI, MOST VEGGIE'S ARE OK BUT EVEN TUNA IN WATER GET TO ME. I CAN EAT CHEDDAR CHEESE. BUT ANYWAY ANY WORDS OF WISDOM WILL HELP. THANK YOU. SRHAND. OR [email protected]   HAVE A GREAT DAY...
MelaniaB_RD
on 2/21/08 12:01 pm, edited 2/21/08 12:04 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Sharon, If you have not yet done this, please call your surgeon and let him/her know about this.  It is not normal at this stage or any stage post-op to feel like there is something caught in your chest for such a long period of time.  Although everyone is different, you should be able to eat most foods by now.  In terms of protein, have you tried scrambled egg, protein shakes, cottage cheese or yogurt?  You might also want to contact your Dietitian to help you with a meal plan that you can tolerate.  However, I would urge you to call your doctor tomorrow!!! In terms of not being able to exercise, perhaps your surgeon or primary care doctor could refer you to a physical therapist to help you find some form of exercise that a) you can do and b) won't cause you pain.  Please send me a private email to let me know how you are doing.
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active