Pre-op questions for nutritionalists

Rana B.
on 2/19/08 9:07 pm
First, let me say, "Thank you" for being here for us - I REALLY appreciate it! Since I saw the surgeon on Nov. 8th (re: RNY) I stopped drinking caffeine, carbonated drinks, and sweets.  So, I believe I have that under control.   I also saw a nutritionalist and she put me on a 1400-1500 kcal diet.  My problem with that is that I feel like I have to spend too much time thinking about food.  I don't want to spend my life planning foods so I've been eating a banana and 19 gr protein/1 gr. sugar protein bar and 1/2 cup decaf coffee. For lunch I either do a lettuce/cucumber salad with a little olive oil/balsamic ving. or Progresso soup (120 kcal).  For dinner I eat whatever I cook the family - grilled meat, starch/gr. veg.   I have been putting Crystal Light in my water - don't know if that's best or not. I realize this isn't really enough kcal. for me to be healthy.  I've lost about 25 lbs. This type of behavior has been my MO for years and within 6 months of losing a great deal of weight, I gain it back. That's why I'm strongly considering RNY. My 6 mo. insurance period will be over in early May, so I have that much time to figure out exactly what I want to do.   I gained 100 lbs. in a year post Katrina.  The stress was too great and I had to be put on Paxil, although I'm off it now,  I weighed 250 lbs this in Nov, and now weigh 225.  I am 5'6" and 45 yrs old.  If I lose 5 more lbs, my BMI will be below the 35 minimum. What I would like to do is figure out an easy way for my husband (49 and not too active), my son (12 and relatively active), my daughter (10 and relatively active) and me to be on a simple meal plan.  I pack my children and husband's lunches for school.   Also, I would like to have the correct portion of protein, carb, fat, ect. that I will need to eat if I do RNY so that I can have it under control before it comes.  I realize that liquid and soft diet comes first. Could I practice liquid and/or soft diet using correct protein/carb/fat ratio?  I know this is relatively vague, but I do want to be healthy and eat correctly.  I am taking a multi-vitamin and 1 calcium right now, and realize that I will have to up the vitamins when I have surgery. One more question - can I use the protein powder, high protein bars, etc... now? I would like to know the best vitamins to buy and the best protein products so I will never get malnourished. If you will tell me the best products for bariatric patients and if you think it's okay to begin now, I would like to start practicing the RNY diet now.  I am determined to do this correctly if I do it.   Thank you so much, Rana
MelaniaB_RD
on 2/20/08 2:17 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Rana, It is our pleasure to help the members of OH!  There are many questions to address so I will do the best I can given that we are here to provide general information, not to address individual concerns.   First of all, I think that a little caffeine is fine and if you were drinking 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, that would be OK; if however, your caffeine was from regular colas, it is good that you have cut this out as carbonated  beverages are usually not well tolerated post-op.  Cutting out sweets (those sweetened with sugar, honey, etc.) will also help you post-op in terms of the potential for dumping. In terms of your nutritionist, I hope that you saw a Registered Dietitian.  She should have  taken into account your current weight, activity level, etc when determining your calorie level to promote weight loss.  Not knowing all the specifics, I'll presume that this is an accurate calorie level for you to lose weight. It is obviously working if you have already lost 25 lbs.  In terms of having RNY to correct your pattern of eating healthier, losing weight only to put it back on, weight loss surgery is not a cure all.  Weight loss surgery is a HUGE decision that requires a life long committment, which will require you to think about what you eat, when you eat and drink as well as committing to regular physical activity.  If you think that you are thinking about food too much now, it will likely be more intense after surgery because you are very limited in terms of the amount and types of food that you can eat at least for the first 6-12 months.  I have seen many, many success stories with WLS, but I have also seen those who because they did not follow the post-op nutrition and exercise guidelines, gain all their weight back.  I'm not trying to discourage you from having WLS, I'm simply suggesting that you consider all the options.  To get a better idea of the post-op RNY diet,  look on the left side of the message board for 'Nutrition Guidlelines after RNY Surgery'.  In terms of using protein powder and bars now, you should ask your RD how to work those into your current meal plan.  In terms of the multivitamin and calcium supplements, it sounds OK but check with your RD. If you want an easy way for your family to follow a simple meal plan, consider talking with your RD about how she can help you do this.   If you have specific questions, send me a private email. 
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active