Calories and exercise...Question for a dietitian!

Ashley M
on 2/18/08 9:45 pm, edited 2/19/08 4:09 am - CT
Hi, Hopefully I can get some help from somebody here, before I call my doctor. I posted a question on the main message board the other day, asking what recommended calories are for 14 months out. My surgeon never talked about calories, but I hadn't lost any weight in 2+ months, so I figured I was eating too many calories. Some posters said that they were eating around 850 calories at 14 months out, so I reduced mine to 850-900. I did this on Saturday, and have already lost 3.5 pounds, which I am very happy about. I have 90-100 grams of protein per day. My question is this (It's very confusing!!): I have been using The Daily Plate to track my calories each day, and when I add in my exercise (about 45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training, 5 days per week) it tells me that I can eat more calories. So, say I have eaten 900 calories and I've burned 350 at the gym-it tells me I've only gotten in 550 calories. Am I supposed to be eating more? When I was eating around 1050, I was still going to the gym and doing the same amount of exercise, but hadn't lost anything. Maybe it's a really stupid question, but I just want to be sure that I am getting enough nutrients so I have energy, but I also want to lose the last 20-25lbs to get to my goal.
*Ashley*

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all things acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs)

DanielleH_RD
on 2/19/08 2:21 pm - CA

Does your doctor have a dietitian they refer to? That would be a great way for you to individualize your plan and goals.

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active