Feeling Frustrated NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!

martinoa
on 2/17/08 12:59 pm - North Olmsted, OH
Im 3 months post op RNY and have lost 65lbs to date.  I feel fabulous and love working out. but........................I HATE EATING.  I dont hate it because of dumping or any of those fun side effects i hate it because i feel like i have no variety with my meals.  I have become comfortable with certain foods and am afraid of stepping outside my comfort zone.  Some days i get plenty of protein and then there are some day i dont.  I know its important to eat my protein and everything else it just that i dont have a taste for ANYTHING lately.  I also dread going out to eat because I dont want to become sick at a restaurant!!!  Help Me, will i EVER be able to have just 1 slice of pizza or half of a hamburger EVER AGAIN.  Will i EVER be able to have one sliver of a bday cake or am i just doomed to eating protein till I die.  I knew signing up for this i would be giving up all this which i am fine with but will theer ever be a day when i can eat somewhat normally?!?!?! When will my taste for food comeback if ever!!! Help Im getting frustrated and want to resort to old ways which is too early in the game to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
(deactivated member)
on 2/17/08 10:52 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH

First, it will not always be this hard. Second, you will not always hate eating. Third, whether you'll eventually be able to eat some sugar will depend on whether you dump, and I would encourage you to put off finding that out for as long as you can. Fourth, it's totally normal to be afraid to step outside your comfort zone! I did the same thing, in that I found a small group of things I could eat with no trouble, and just kept eating the same things. All the time. Until I just couldn't take it any more... But when I started trying new things, I always did it at home. And I stuck with trying things that were good for me - veggies, fruits, low-fat dairy products, leaner proteins, etc.

I didn't try any sugar or sweets or pizza until about 10 months after my surgery because I wanted to maximize my "honeymoon" period. I also knew that sweets and processed carbs were triggers for me, meaning that once I had some, I was pretty sure I would want more. My thought was that the longer I waited to try these things, the more ingrained my new habits would have become. Now at almost 28 months out, I can eat pretty much anything I want. I do dump if I have too many simple carbs, but I can have a small slice of cake or a cookie or a single serving of ice cream. Much beyond that and I feel like total crap, so I choose not to do it.

I went out to eat for the first time about 3-4 months after my surgery. I think I had some shrimp and perhaps some broth-based soup, but I did not eat much - better safe than sorry. Now, I go out pretty regularly, eat pretty healthy most of the time, have an occasional drink, and sometimes a bit of dessert. But I have a lot more control than I did before surgery...

In terms of suggestions, you're far enough out that you've probably been cleared for most types of food. Can you try one new thing each day at home? Perhaps by adding some healthy variety to your routine, it'll help you get past this rut. If you can post what you've been eating, perhaps other folks can offer some suggestions on things you may try at this time that shouldn't bother your pouch.

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie

(who is also a patient of Dr. Schauer's)

Most Active