Do beans really "swell up" inside you? RD/NUT please

wendy_fou
on 2/17/08 9:46 am - AR
Do beans (any kind really, not just pinto beans) really "swell up" inside you?   I have heard that pinto beans "swell up" inside person because they attrac****er into them (like rice).   I eat pinto beans almost every day and so this is important to me.  I don't want my pouch to swell up from eating them.   HELP!!!
01mommy
on 2/17/08 10:13 am

I've always considered beans "sliders" because unless they're seriously undercooked, they don't have much staying power on their own.  You can typically feel the swelling with things like rice, breads, and pasta because no matter how well you chew, it still tends to take up a bit more space going down. I wouldn't worry about stretching from the beans alone, but I would say be careful about portion size when eating less dense proteins with them.  I noticed that I could eat almost twice as much taco meat when I mixed my refried beans with them, as opposed to eating just the meat by itself.

218/135/143/130
Pre-op/Lowest/Current/Goal

wendy_fou
on 2/19/08 5:27 am, edited 2/19/08 5:28 am - AR
bump...
DanielleH_RD
on 2/19/08 2:08 pm - CA
No, beans don't swell up inside you.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active