Soft Drinks

Soon to be Thin
on 2/17/08 6:16 am - Newnan, GA
A few months ago, I started drinking soft drinks and I can't quit.  Someone please remind me why this is a bad thing . . . I do at least drink diet drinks and I can't drink much at a time.
hangokid11
on 2/17/08 8:43 am - MT
i read your profile and i couldn't tell what kind of WLS you had.....  uhmm if you had the RNY   you are filling up the pouch before you can put in your protein and your vitamins and supplements....  with the sugar and carbonation   you are likely to experience dumping syndrome and getting too full....  before  anything......  and you're likely to get sick if you don't have those B12's and IRON in you ....
wendy_fou
on 2/17/08 10:11 am - AR
I'm going to cut/paste my response to this question from some of my previous posts on this topic.  Sorry to those that have seen/read it before.  

Not only is the carbonation bad (bloating/gassy issues), but the long-term dangers/damage is multi-fold.

1.  All non-clear soft drinks contain phosphoric acid.  Phosphoric acid bonds to minerals you ingest - for example zinc, magnesium and most importantly calcium.  Since these minerals are bonded to the phosphoric acid, your body cannot absorb them.  Instead, they are simply expelled.  (You "pee" them out.)  So much for those vitamins you're taking, huh?  (Studies show that this is why 20 and 30 year olds are developing osteoporosis nowadays.)

2.  Also, carbonated beverages have been shown to increase appetite.  (Post-ops drinking carbonated beverages are more than twice as likely to gain their weight back.  I don't know where my surgeon/NUT get that statistic, but I believe it.) 

3.  Carbonated beverages are stomach irritants, even if it is not to the point that you can "tell".  The body fights stomach irritants by using one of the best natural antacids it has - calcium.  Where does it get it?  Your blood.  Your blood then realizes that its calcium level is too low, so it pulls calcium from the biggest source around - your bones.  Ergo, your bones get weaker and more brittle.

4.  Carbonated beverages have been linked to certain types of cancers.  (There is a strong correlation between ingesting carbonated beverages and esophageal cancer.)

5. It can be hard at times for post-ops to get in all the fluids recommended without adding "useless, good-for-nothing filler" in there as well.  

Part of the WLS journey is making better choices.  None of us make choices that are 100% good for us 100% of the time, but you should at least shoot for making good choices that are at least 1% good for us 100% of the time.  Diet coke does NOTHING good for you.

Just because your surgeon may say you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD.  I have heard some people on here talk about their surgeons saying they CAN start carbs again, etc.  They did it, then gained weight and are upset.  So I will say again, just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD. 

Just FYI, there is a LOT of reasons not to soft drinks, many of which have NOTHING to do with WLS.  Google research it.

Liz M.
on 3/6/08 4:22 am - Lexington, KY
In addition to what's already been posted.. my surgeon said during the informational seminar on day one that sodas were a no no.  He said that they stretch your pouch because of the carbonation.  He put an empty balloon on top of a just opened bottle of soda, and all throughout the seminar, you could see it getting blown up just from the carbonation.  Crazy.  Good luck to you in quitting!
Most Active