Help!! Protein Question!!

Barb
on 2/16/08 10:11 am - Springfield, IL
 I had surgery 4 days ago and I find that I'm drinking water and eating a few bites of jello, crushing all my pills, but I am on a one week clear liquid diet...shouldn't I be getting some protein in there somehow? 
MelaniaB_RD
on 2/17/08 6:45 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Barb, Yes, you should be consuming products that are high in protein. This is achieved by drinking liquid protein supplements (protein shakes) for the next few weeks.  Although every surgeon has his/her own post-op guidelines, most protocols call for a clear liquid diet for days 1-2 followed by a full liquid diet after being discharged from the hospital (usually day 3 or 4).  The full liquid diet is usually followed for weeks 1-3 and all foods must be liquid or semi-liquid at room temperature and HIGH in protein.   This diet stage is designed to allow your digestive system to SLOWLY get used to solid foods AND allows the opening from your stomach pouch now leading to your intestines to fully heal.   Hopefully your surgeon or dietitian provided you with a detailed diet time line to follow during this very important post-operative time.  If not, I would call to ask for professional guidance.  At the very least you can review the RNY nutrition guidlines on the left side of the page. I wish you the best of luck.
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active