1.5 weeks out and struggling!

dreaming
on 2/14/08 11:58 pm - Spangdahlem, Germany
Hello, I am consuming about 500-600 calores a day now. I know they say you can't really have hunger right now but I really do get hungry, my stomach starts growling. I was given a list of things I can consume but I have no clue how many calories. I get in most of the protein and all of the fluid. I also have lost NO WEIGHT since I got home from the hospital last Saturday. Maybe I'm getting in too many calories? I know a stall at 3 weeks is normal but I'm only out less then 2 weeks. I feel very frustrated.  Can you please shed some light on this? Thanks!!!

~Sheryl
HW/SW/CW/goal
311/303/254/150?

Mrs_Lundin
on 2/15/08 5:50 am - TX

I think you are not taking in enough calories. You need to eat to lose weight so maybe up your intake if you can. I'm not sure what your allowed to eat after a RNY. Good luck to you!!

deniseg
on 2/16/08 4:01 am - Monticello, AR
Hey Sheryl, I do not think you need to increase your calories at this point...I was barely consuming 400 calories at the same stage after surgery.    At 1 1/2 weeks out from surgery you really don't need to even consider calories or fat grams right now.  The main thing you need to focus on is at least 60g of protein, doesn't matter how you get it and at least 64oz. fluids daily...it takes time to work up to it so if you don't get there every day don't worry about it...it gets easier.  Make sure you're measuring out your food to comply with your surgeon's/nut's rules...you may not get a "full" feeling for several weeks and you want to make sure  you're not eating too much at a time. As for losing weight, don't worry about that either.  I lost 13lbs. the first week after surgery then not one ounce for the next 4-5 weeks.  Sometimes our bodies get stubborn and want to hang on to every ounce it can until it just has to give it up...that's what mine did.  Plus, you're recovering from major abdominal surgery, your body needs time to heal and also to "catch up" after the weight loss that you have had.  When I did start losing again it came off 4-5lbs. at a time and I've never really stalled, its been steady ever since. Don't despair...follow your surgeon's rules and do what you know is the right thing to do and be patient, it will happen.  Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Most Active