My hair is like a brillo pad. Is it a nutritional deficiency?

BrendaE
on 2/13/08 1:56 pm
I am 19 months post-op RNY.  I know this may sound trivial, but my hair was always very soft and beautiful.  I'm having a hard time dealing with the change because I can't style my hair and look nice for work.  I just have to tie it back all the time.  I am taking all my vitamins, b-12 shot every two weeks, Vit E, EPA/DHA, and flaxseed oil.  The texture of my hair is so very dry but not brittle.  If I want it to lay down like in my picture, I have to blow dry it, straighten it out, then curl it. I only do this about once every 6 months because of the heat.  Is there something I can do nutritionally to help with this?  I've tried all the professtional hair products, even soaked my hair in Mayonaise for about 5 hours without any improvement.  I'm hoping one of the dieticians has a suggesion.  Thank you for your support.

DanielleH_RD
on 2/16/08 6:05 am - CA
Supplements are one thing, but if your diet is deficient, all the vitamins in the world won't help.  I would have to look at your diet in detail to ascertain your adequacy - which is beyond the scope of this board. What I would suggest is that you keep a diet diary, make an appointment with your dietitian and discuss it.  Protein deficiency is probably the biggest component of hair loss and texture changes but other factors may include stress and hormone changes - both of which are common post-op. Also unfortunately with hair, it shows the health you were in when it was growing - so even if you are completely on track now, if you were not in the past, it will show in your hair. I know there are others who have experienced this same thing - hell, some of us have dry, frizzy hair naturally.  I am a big fan of "Silk Effects" to help smooth my hair out without weighing it down and a big huge curling iron to straighten and curl all in one step. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

MARLENA S.
on 2/18/08 1:06 am, edited 2/18/08 1:12 am - middletown, CT
RNY on 09/04/07 with
MY HAIR IS CHANGING TOO, AND FALLING OUT IM 5 MTHS OUT,  I STARTED USING OJON HAIR PRODUCTS, THE SWA LINE COMES WITH AN OIL THAT YOU USE ONCE A WEEK FOR 20 MINS OR OVER NIGHT IT REALLY WORKS WONDERS, AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT YOU CAN RETURN THE KIT ITHIN 30 DAYS...HERES THE LINK   http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail GOOD LUCK! I HOPE YOU LIKE IT! MARLENA

http://www.myspace.com/marrose76
Rny 9-4-07 -158lbs
July 10th, 2009 Brachioplasty (Arms) & Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

BrendaE
on 2/18/08 9:23 am
Thank you both for your replies.  I will keep a diary and speak to my dietician.  Thank you Marlena for the info on the hair products. I remember at about 6 months out I lost about 1/2 my hair.  It is growing back in now but the texture is awful.  I think it must be like the dietician said, it's nutritional.  Thanks again.
Most Active