for experienced post-ops--vitamin & protein costs ??

hangokid11
on 2/12/08 4:12 pm - MT

I've been looking into  Post-op protein intake and vitamin supplements and to my surprise, some stuff are mighty expensive... I'm not in a position to spend quite alot of money as I'm on food stamps, etc. I recall coming into a speciality store that deals with organic foods and stuff, and they don't accept food stamps. However I noticed Trader Joe do accept food stamps... but am not sure about GNC or other speciality stores.  Food stamps would, of course, not cover vitamins supplements. How much do you (for those already experienced in post-op), pay for vitamins, protein stuff, etc, every month, especially the first 6 months and the following years? Food stamps would, of course, pay for the basic foods like cheeses and milk products. Would appreciate your information. I better start saving money asap...

Robin W.
on 2/12/08 8:52 pm - Franklin, OH
You can find several good protein powders and vitamins at WalMart.  Our Wally World sells about 5 different types of powders.  I use BODY FORTRESS.  ONE SCOOP  Calories 110 Total fats 2.5 g Total carbs 3g Sugar 1g Protein 20g Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

Lori A.
on 2/13/08 1:03 am - West Bath, ME
I buy my protein online so i can't help you there, but as far as vitamins go, i have a horrible time taking pills so i was told to take kids gummy vitamins and i get them at either costco or walmart and they are pretty inexpensive for a huge bottle and my labs have always come out great... Good Luck ~Lori
Starting Weight: 303
Current Weight: 150
Goal Weight: 110
POUNDS LEFT TO LOSE: 40
You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance. -Lee Iacocca
LizzyL
on 2/13/08 1:28 am - NY
RNY on 06/08/04 with
Hi Kelly, like the poster said up above.  You will find cheaper protein powders and your vitamins at Walmart even at you do not have to get the costy vitamins and protein powders buy what you can aford.  don't stress over this. you can still buy vitamins ...etc and keep your costs down. all the hefty protein powders are actually for bodybuilders who are in to heavy weight training. you can look and browse online for some cheaper brands but they are still good quality proteins for us weight loss patients. go with Atkin's protein shakes in the can. they taste very good. and they are actually very good on their prices. shop around in google.com  ... you'll see. i found this for you - Click here   under $ 10.00  ....and   Click here and HERE is more. you can also call the companies and ask them to send you free samples of protein and vitamins..... i know that Unjury protein does send free protein powder samples to members here on OH.com here is their website http://www.unjury.com/ tell them that you would like to try them out before you buy them. also look at this site below too for vitamins. http://www.drugstore.com/ look around for the best price that you can handle you can make this work without getting into high pricey vitamins and protein powders. good luck to you :-) hugss Lizzy

Hugs & Kisses
Lizzybee2.gif

deniseg
on 2/14/08 1:28 am - Monticello, AR
Hi Kelly, I can tell you what I take at just over a year out from surgery...just keep in mind your surgeon may require additional vitamin supplements to what mine requires. I take 2 Flintstone Chewables (recommended by my surgeon) daily, have been taking them since one week post op.  I actually buy the Wal-Mart brand, about $5 for a bottle of 150 tablets...at two a day that one bottle lasts about 2 1/2 months. I take 3 Citracal Calcium Citrate Petites with Vitamin D (recommended by my NUT)...I think they're about $7-$8 for a bottle of 200 tablets...the one bottle last about 2 months if you take 3 a day...the petites are smaller than most calcium tablets so easier to swallow, especially early out. So those two alone are less than $15 about every two months.  I also buy my protein powder from Wal-Mart, I use the Body Fortress 100% Premium Whey vanilla flavored.  I don't do shakes anymore, just can't stand the taste and smell, so I do protein pudding.  I take 1 cup FF milk, 1/2 packet of jello sugar free instant pudding, any flavor, and 1 scoop of protien powder...blend it up and pour into a cup (I use a large coffee cup), put it in fridge to set and get cold then enjoy.  You won't be able to eat a whole cup for a while after surgery, but once you're on soft foods you can take a couple of bites here and there and maybe get the whole thing down during the course of a day...32g of protein total for the whole thing.  I don't remember the price of the powder, but its less than $15 I think for a 2lb. container. I also do a B-12 shot once a month, its a prescription from my surgeon and my insurance pays for the whole thing, so I don't know how much it costs...but one bottle has lasted me the whole year and the needles are like 25 cents a piece. Hope this helps you some...it doesn't have to cost a fortune to stay healthy! 

DENISE          
Day of surgery weight/BMI:  246/44.9
Goal weight:  135
Current weight/BMI135/24.6---GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Total pounds lost:  111

Most Active